- advertisement -

Help with pump decision

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by manwkids, Apr 8, 2012.

1. manwkids

manwkids Approved members

We have narrowed it down to the mini-med and Ping.

I need advice from those who have used both to help me with real life information.

We have used the inset 30's with the cozmore for the last four years and with the ping don't have to change what we already know/comfortable with. Has anyone made the switch from the inset 30's to the silhousettes? How do they compare? Is their sil-serter as affective as the inset 30's? More painful? Manual insertion vs insertion device. Do the Silhousettes last as long as the inset 30's.

Is the redundancy of having to scroll up to the correct units on the Ping a big annoyance. Having used the cozmore it appears that min med functions are more familiar. For Ping users what functions do you love about the Ping that the Mini-med does not have? Is the remote bolus feature useful? For Ping users, does having to work in Units and not Carbs take getting use to? Is the larger color display on the Ping helpful? Does the limiting 200 unit reservoir get in the way?

I will have to pay out of pocket for the CGM sites. I can see doing this every now and then but not on going. What do you love most about the CGM? Has anyone used the new MySentry with a pre-adolescent? If so what do you like about it. Is it worth the out of pocket cost of $1,900? Have you used the MySentry to help with lowering the A1C?

Having switched from the Cozmore what is up with the "filter"?

Is there anything new just about to be released that is worth holding on for a few more months?

2. MamaLibby

MamaLibby Approved members

My 10 year old has used a MM pump since she was 6, which we LOVED simply because it was a pump, and we'd been on MDI for 4 years prior. We picked MM for the ease of use, and because that was what Ella was most comfortable wearing.
    We started using the sensor in July and our only regret is not using it earlier. It alerts to highs and lows, shows arrows of where she's headed, and gives us a graph of where she's been so we can more easily spot trends. It's definitively worth it!
    Good luck with your decision and happy pumping!

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

i can tell you that the inset 30s and the Silhouettes are both made by Unomedical and are essentially two different names for the same set. We use Sils and insert them manually, but there is an inserter you can use if you're used to that. If you're really attached to the insets, you can buy an adapter to let you use them with the MM punp. I wouldn't let that influence your decision.

In your shoes, I'd trial both pumps. I get the feeling that former Cozmo users find the MM menus and features more like the Cozmo, but there are some Cozmo features that neither has. Since you're experienced with pumping, you will probably find that you like one over the other pretty quickly.

Good luck!

4. manwkids

Thank you for your insight into the inset 30's and silhouettes being both made by Unomedical. That is helpful to put them on equal footing. We have a loaner MM right now and I have seen the Ping. I do like the feel of the MM and the way it shows the information before you bolus.

5. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We have the Revel 723 and CGM. I wouldn't want to be without either with a girl in puberty. It seems we're using temp basals every few - or every day - to keep her in range. The changes are crazy. Her basal needs can drop 50% in a blink or increase by about the same. Even so, we're managing to drop her A1C and keep her safe at the same time. I'd highly recommend the integrated system!

6. Andii

Andii Approved members

My daughter switched from the Cozmo to the MM Revel two years ago. We had the sales reps come to our house to show her the pumps. After pushing all the buttons, she chose the MM as the closest to her Cozmo. I thought she might be interested in the Ping remote, but she wasn't. It would be nice for me to have at night, but I was already used to digging out her old pump, so no change there. As a teenager, she really needed the larger cartridge too. That was not something I thought of when choosing her first pump at age ten. She's been happy with her choice. We also use the CGM, but don't have MySentry. We really use it for spotting trends and adjusting basals. Her A1c has improved so I think it's worth the trouble. Good luck with your decision!

7. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Not sure how old your son is, mine was 5 when he started pumping, and the meter/remote is PRICELESS to me!! If he were doing his own bolusing, it would not be so much of an issue, but I love, love, love only having to interrupt him to check his BG and then be able to let him go play while I do the bolus. Inputting the insulin amount myself is a non-issue, as we've only ever used the Ping. It feels more secure to me than I think it would if I only had to push one button.

The other thing I love about the meter remote is parties. I can bolus him as he grazes...and at birthday parties, bolus him for seconds or cake without his friends even knowing. It's just much fewer interruptions for him...I would hate to have to go over to him EVERY time he wants to eat and pull his pump out of his pocket.

I would never change pumps as long as the meter/remote is available with the Ping...it is that useful and important to me.

Good luck with your decision!

8. Sandy's mom

Sandy's mom Approved members

My dd had the Ping with inset 30s, she switched a few months ago to the MM 523 and found the Silhouettes much more painful. So the rep had her try their newer Mio set. It too is an all in one inserter as the inset 30 is. She loves it way better then the inset 30 even- no pain at all she says comparatively. The only downside is with the inset 30 she could go 4 days with, these definitely 3 is the max for her. She is a very lean 11 yr. old.

As far as the pumps themselves, she loves the MM more as it is so easy, no dialing up to bolus. For me, I miss the Ping, loved that bright screen, so easy to see at night.

Good luck in your choice, both are great.

9. hawkeyegirl

You need to update your signature. :)

10. Sandy's mom

Sandy's mom Approved members

No, She's still pumping with the pink Revel.

11. hawkeyegirl

Jeez, I would have sworn it said Ping still! Time to get to the eye doctor! :D

12. KyleBugsMom

KyleBugsMom Approved members

I LOVE the MM. We had the Ping in hand and the training confused me so much that we returned it and put off pumping for a year. I'm sure I could've learned but it just made me nervous. The next time the "pump talk" came up I got my hands on the MM and the rep told me about mySentry and the integrated CGM...that was all it took. We ordered the MM that week. We waited another year and got CGM and mySentry. WOW!! It's awesome! We have headed off some scary lows and improved his a1c drastically.
    No doubt the remote capability would be great - would be even better if the CGM was integrated with that. However, I don't mind (and neither does my very active son) stopping him for a second to bolus or check the CGM...I just give him extra kisses and hugs, too!

13. manwkids

Thanks for all your input. It is very helpful. Has anyone else experienced more pain with the Silhouettes? We have tried the 90 degree cleos, which were great and they only lasted about half as long as the inset 30's.