- advertisement -

help with paying for test strips

Discussion in 'Glucose Meters' started by kitty, Jan 4, 2006.

1. kitty

kitty Approved members

I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes 2 weeks ago, and my doctor is having me test my blood sugar 4 times a day. My insurance will only cover 150 strips per month. I have had to pay for a box of 50 myself, and its getting to be very expensive, especially since I'm on SSI and have 2 toddlers to take care of. Most of my check goes toward bills, laundry money, and extra groceries.

Does anyone know of a company that gives you a box of test strips for free? Right now, I am currently using a Medisense Precision Sof-Tact meter as my primary meter (I have a FreeStyle Flash meter I currently bought on Ebay for a backup meter).
    If anyone can help me out, I'd really appreciate it!

Jessie:cool:

2. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Did your doctor write the prescription to cover checking blood sugar 4x per day? If not, please ask him to rewrite the prescription. If so, please fight the insurance company and tell them they cannot dispense medical advice and on the advice of your doctor you must check 4x per day so they need to provide you with what the doctor ordered. You have to be a very squeaky wheel when it comes to having your medical needs met.

3. kitty

kitty Approved members

Thanks for the help!
    My doctor put in for a lesster of medical necessity so I could get more test strips, and Medicaid accepted the letter, so I am now getting 200 strips a month with 200 lancets.:)

Jessie:cool:

4. fortristan

fortristan Approved members

5. sherlynn01

sherlynn01 Approved members