- advertisement -

Help with numbers

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by serge28, Nov 8, 2010.

1. serge28

serge28 Approved members

I hope someone from this group will help me.
    We have started pumping (OmniPod) a week ago. As usual our endo wants to play safe and set the numbers very conservative. Before pump my son was Lantus/Novolog with Lantus 5u a day and IC is 1:15 for the morning and 1:40 for the rest of the day. It seemed to be working OK (we have seen sometimes lows in the morning). We switched to the pump and our basal rate was 0.15 through the day totaling about 3.6 units. That is much less than 5 we had before. My son was high all the time, hardly could bring him down with the correction. After couple of days we have increased basal and changed in such way that he will have more in the morning and less at night (to fight the lows). His total basal is around 5u a day and IC is still the same. We still see a lot of highs after meal (2 hours after meal is around 200-300). No ketones, no site issue. Right now, his bolus/basal almost 50:50, but it seems like he needs more bolus for meal. At the same time I cannot figure out how to make him to stay around 100. If he is 120-110 after 2.5 hours after meal, he will be 60 in 30-60 minutes after that if he doesn?t eat anything.
    My endo and trainer did do any basal tasting at all and I was told to wait about a month to get used to the pump until they will do it (if they will). It seems like we need to do some adjustment, but I?m sure where to go. I know that we need to decrease his basal at night since he is still going low (170 at midnight to 70 in the morning (110 in the middle of the night). Or should we just hire professional educator to help us.

Thanks.

P.S. That is the biggest post I have ever post :cwds:

2. blbrocky

blbrocky Approved members

You might consider buying the book Pumping Insulin by John Walsh. This book does explain things and can help get you in the ball park.

Did your Endo provide any basal testing sheets for you to follow?

We were taught to decrease/increase basals two hours before the problem area. Only make one adjustment at a time. Get your basals dialed in and then move on to I:C ratios.

3. serge28

serge28 Approved members

thank you for your reply.
    I do have a book and read it now everyday and it does help a lot. We didn't get anything basal testing sheets from our endo. I'm aftraid to do it on our own.

4. blbrocky

blbrocky Approved members

You should call your Endo and let them know how much your son is dropping during the night and ask them to help you make some adjustments.