- advertisement -

Help with making the Dexcom stick!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by dqmomof3, Jan 20, 2014.

1. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

Hey everyone! It's been a long time since I last posted. Quick history...dd dx'd 12/07. She is now 15. Used MM pump and sensor. DD developed nasty allergy to the sensor (under the skin) so we had to stop using it. Switched to Omnipod, and have just added the Dex. We put our first sensor in last night on the back of the arm. Sensor is tracking like a charm...but it's already falling off! What are you guys using to make these things stick? We're having the same problem with the new pods. The old ones were fine, but the new ones are falling off in the shower.

Any brilliant ideas you've had that worked? I'm all eyes!

2. Shopgirl2091

Shopgirl2091 Approved members

We have done a couple of things that really help. Skin tac works great, we would put it on the arm before we put the sensor down. That helped add some extra stickiness so it didn't fall right off. The other thing is Opsite flexifix tape. I buy a big roll on Amazon and tape his sensor down as soon as I put it on. Some people don't need extra adhesive but if we don't put any on right away the sensor will fall right off. I just cut the tape in strips and tape on top of the white adhesive part. With this I easily get two weeks out of sensors. Good luck :)

3. mocha

mocha Approved members

I use Hypafix (also on Amazon). Hypafix is more like the tape that the sites and sensors use (cloth tape), where as other tapes are the plastic type tape (like Tegaderm).

I generally just cut out a hole for the transmitter to peep through and tape up when I put in a new sensor, adding or replacing as needed.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Opsite tape here. Works perfectly for DD's sensor sites.

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We also use Opsite tape.

6. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

We put Dex on and then use Skin Tac on the visible tape... We do that a couple of times until the tape starts going stiff, then cover with Tegaderm if necessary.

7. sincity2003

sincity2003 Approved members

We have used all the above mentioned adhesives, and just started using the Hypafix last week, based on a suggestion here on the board, and it works so much better. Having said that, if your daughter doesn't have any skin allergies, the others might work just fine for her. DS developed a really bad rash the last time we used the Flexifix that still hasn't completely gone away. The Hypafix also doesn't pull on his skin (his words), like the other ones did. It's really trial and error for your particular child, I think.

As a side note, please report to Insulet that you're having adhesive issues. They won't believe you, but please report it :)

8. Olivia'sDad

Olivia'sDad Approved members

SkinTac works great, we get 2 weeks out of every sensor now and the adhesive is still going strong at the end.

9. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

I think we used to use Hypafix, so I ordered some of that. It's amazing what you forget when you get out of the habit of doing things. Thanks for the help, everyone!