advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with lunch time insulin?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by hsford5, Feb 16, 2010.

1. hsford5

hsford5 Approved members

I wondered if anyone out there has had this problem. I'm getting ready to start a full-time job. I have two children with Type 1, and both require lunch time insulin. My 15 year old is developmentally delayed, and my younger daughter has not mastered giving herself injections yet. How do I go about getting help with this? Has anyone hired help?

Thanks!

Susan

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Hello and welcome. It may help if you gave a little bit more information. Such as, what type of insulin they are on, are they in school, how long they have been dx, etc.

3. hsford5

hsford5 Approved members

My son is 15, and my daughter is 8. They are both in school. My son takes Humalin NPH and Humalog in the morning, Humalog at lunch and Lantus and Humalog at dinner. My daughter is on Lantus and Humalog at dinner, and then Humalog at breakfast and lunch.

I've been working part-time close to home, and have had a very flexible schedule which allowed me to go home (when the kids are home) and administer insulin. But, with starting a full-time job, and summer approaching, I'm not sure what to do about the lunch Humalog.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Susan

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Public schools? In the US?

5. wilf

wilf Approved members

In consultation with your medical team, you may be able to develop an insulin regimen using NPH (given at breakfast) to cover lunch at school. We've been doing this for years and it works well for us.. :cwds:

6. Our3girls

Our3girls Approved members

I do the same as WILF and it works well. Although there are times when she spikes for no reason and I have to run and give her some insulin at lunch, so I take my lunch at that time and drive (safely) like a maniac. You might be surprised though with your school staff. They can give insulin if trained. Good luck and remember it will work itself out just don't stress over it!!

7. hsford5

hsford5 Approved members

Thanks for all the suggestions! I have actually thought about the NPH for both kids, and will bring that up with our doctor.

This is my first post here, although I've been following this site for years. My son was diagnosed in 1999 a few days before Halloween, and my daughter in 2008, the day after Halloween!

I live in Fredericksburg, VA, about an hour south of DC. Unfortunately, although we have great medical care, we have to drive an hour to see the doc. I'm not complaining, though, I know many people who travel much further for their care!

Thanks again for all the helpful suggestions!

Susan

8. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

This is what we did until Seth learned to give himself a shot at 9 years old. He learned at camp.

9. Sarah Maddie's Mom

If it's a public school there is no reason why you can't follow the insulin regime of your choice. If you are finding your current methods to be effective, the school is obligated to provide someone who can provide the necessary accommodations, including giving injections. It's not unusual at all.;) Has the school, to date, refused??

10. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I agree with this. Not putting down NPH but if at all possible it would be nice to fit your school around what is best for your child not the other way around.

11. hsford5

hsford5 Approved members

The school does administer insulin. My concern is when school is out, the kids are home, and I'm at work. That's when I'm not sure how I'll get the insulin done!

Susan

12. sooz

sooz Approved members

Who will be caring for them then? They can be trained to give the insulin and see to their other needs. :confused:

13. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Ok -- sorry, obviously that different. The only thing I can suggest is trying an "inject-ease" and see if your 8 year old can manage that. Some kids that age do do their own shots - mine never did, but then she's been on a pump since 2nd grade.

http://www.amazon.com/Bd-Automatic-Injector-Inject-ease-Packages/dp/B001IKKHGS

14. hsford5

hsford5 Approved members

what is an inject-ease? I've never heard of that. We are looking at the pump, but our doctor wants to wait until summer to start the training. I wonder if a pre-loaded insulin pen might be easier for the kids to manage. I feel confident my 8 year old will learn to administer her own insulin in the near future. However, my 15 year old son has developmental delays and will not be able to do it on is own any time soon, if ever, so I will still need help, regardless.

I may actually try to hire a nursing student. I work in a hospital, and know lots of young women who may want the extra cash and won't be afraid of taking on this responsibility! I'm going to have to get very creative here!

15. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I think that is a very good idea to try to hire a nursing student.

Do you have any family at all willing to help you out?