- advertisement -

Help with lows....

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by justice1315, Jun 11, 2013.

1. justice1315

justice1315 Approved members

We are a little new (9 year old daughter diagnosed one year ago). She has been running low all night regardless of what food/drink i give her. She has not been feeling sick, other than symptoms of being low. Anyone have any ideas what couod cause this? We have never experienced it before and i plan on staying up tonight to test her. I will be calling her doc in morning, just very scared tonight!!!!

2. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

I'm sorry. Lows can be scary.

So many things can cause lows. It may be that she is being more active with the warmer weather or it could be a growth spurt. My son often goes low for a couple of days before he gets sick. Once he starts showing symptoms, he runs high. Some people see lows or highs with the change in the weather.

Are you pumping or MDI? Either way, I would lower the nighttime basal or dinner time dose. Maybe a glass of milk (uncovered) before bed to help boost her and get her through?

Hang in there.

3. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

Perfect advice from Heather. Lows happen every now and then - we put it down to growth/hormones. When it does happen we check regularly through the night or use a cgms. You are doing exactly what you should - and because you will know how she is tracking with the testing - you don't need to be so worried. Good luck tonight - I hope it goes well.

4. justice1315

Thank you for the replys... very scary night. She finally got up into somewhat normal ranges around 3:30 am. She started a diabetes summer camp yesterday, not sure if that may have anything to do with things.

She is still injecting/pens, she is not quite ready for the pump. Does anyone have a suggestion of something that has worked for them to raise numbers in a situation like that?

I tried a little of everything last night, not much seemed to work like I thought it would. Juice seemed to do absolutley nothing.

5. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

Fizzy sweet soft drinks - fanta, coke, lemonade ... The fizz helps get the sugar into the bloodstream quickly. Hope this helps. Liz

6. Mish

Mish Approved members

Has camp advised you that most likely you'll see a decrease in insulin needs while the child is at camp? A good rule of thumb that Barton Center/Camp Joslin uses is that they tell people to decrease all insulin by about 20% for camp days/nights. Extra activity from camp can certainly cause lows during the night.

The best thing you can do is reduce her insulin for the rest of the time she's in camp.

7. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Yep, sounds like you need to pull back on the basal insulin while she's in camp.

8. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

Nothing works faster for DD than liquid Dex...it only takes about 6 minutes to show up in the BG. Dex tabs or the cheaper "Smarties" or "Rockets" that contain dextrose are my next choice. Juice takes 20-30 minutes to show up in DD's BG numbers.

DD needed 30-50% less insulin at camp. They also ate bedtime snacks with protein in them like high-protein cereal.

It was stressful for you, but you did a great job keeping her safe last night.

9. justice1315

Thank you!!

Thank you so much for all of the great advice..It is so nice to have other parents to talk to who have been through the same thing.

10. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

if her bedtime numbers are good but she is going low you could try a higher fat low carb bedtime snack. The higher fat digests slowly and helps keep BG up. It may sound weird but we used to do a lot of ice cream, whole fat milk with a bit of nesquick, or a whole fat yogurt before bedtime with my son for a while right after diagnosis to keep him from dropping to fast and low at night. I know other people do things like peanut butter crackers, crackers and cheese, or even a (homemade:) ) chocolate chip cookie and whole fat milk before bed...high fat with low carb :)
    Eventually you may want to decrease the long lasting insulin, or split the dose to more at morning and less at night, or or or....things change fast, so if it is like here once you figure it out things switch up again quick. Thank goodness for all the lovley parents here who've experienced so much and are so helpful :)
    Hope she is having fun at camp and you're getting a bit of extra rest, too!

11. Lee

Lee Approved members

High fat snacks prior to the low, reducing insulin, and carbing up all work. Also, we recently explored a mini-glucagon. I would search the site on how to use that. It is a nice way to bring them up when nothing seems to be working.