- advertisement -

Help with Lantus dose!!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by malyssa, Apr 24, 2009.

1. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

I am having some trouble with my numbers. I have been running really high. All of my numbers have been above 200 (except for a few around 180) and most are above 300. My cozmo failed last week, so they sent me a new one, which failed a few days ago. So, I switched out to my MM pump, and that one failed too. Cozmo is being a pain and they are giving us a hard time because their pumps have been failing a lot on us lately. So, we gave up, and since we are switching to Animas, we figured that I'll just stay on the MM until we get it.
    So the MM replacement came yesterday...but my mom sent that one back on accident instead of the 'bad' one. So now I'm going to be stuck on Lantus for a while, which isn't a big deal, I don't mind it too much, and I enjoy a pump break every now and then. But, here's my dilemma...

We called the endo when it first happened, and he asked me how much Lantus I was on when I was originally on it, so I told him- 24 units. And I'm thinking, ok, but that was my dose THREE years ago! My basal adds up to 26.6 units in a 24 hr period, so I should at least be getting 26-27 units. So last night after running around 400 for a day, I changed it to 27 units, but that didnt help too much either. And I have to do something about it. I don't like being high:( and I have to take it in an hour because thats just how it happened.

Any suggestions on how much more I should take? I hate being high like this, its wearing me out. :(:(:( I'm really disliking diabetes today. :(

Thanks
    Malyssa

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Sorry you are dealing with this. I know you said you called your endo when this happened three years ago but have you called him now? Also, since Lantus is long acting it may take a little while to see the results of increasing the dose.....

3. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

Yeah. We called him two days ago, and that was when he asked me what my dose was before I started pumping, which was 24. He told me to stick with that until the new pump comes...but I'm not so sure I want to go right back on the pump when it comes. I really just want to wait until I get trained on the Animas next month and until then take a vacation from pumping. And, I really don't want to be high, ya know. It stinks. Our practice also hates having patients not on the pump, so I am kind of at a loss. =/

4. Christopher

Ah, ok, I understand. I hope that some other parents who have dealt with this situation reply to you. My basic advice would be to keep increasing the lantus until you see some type of response. Dumb, I know. As for your practice, I am sorry they feel that way, but you are the one living with this and you do what feels right for you. They are there to support you and help you with your decisions. Just my opinion. Good luck...:cwds:

5. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

Thank you. No, it's not dumb, lol. It's all trial and error, I know. I just don't like seeing high numbers, especially with my endo appt coming up in two weeks. :eek: Thanks so much. :)

6. Christopher

I know what you mean, I tend to get nervous a few weeks before Danielle's endo appointments because no matter how well things are going, it seems that something always happens to mess things up...go figure....:rolleyes:

7. KRenee

KRenee Approved members

If you were my dd I'd raise the Lantus again. I do believe it takes a few days to see the full effect of an increased (or decreased) dose of Lantus, but being 300/400 is just too high. I'd probably take it up to 30, and if I didn't see good numbers I'd increase it again by 3. At some point when you start to see a few decent numbers I'd hold it at that level for a few days to see the full effect before trying to fine tune it.

8. wilf

wilf Approved members

What a pain!

If it were my DD, I'd jump to 30 units and then keep going up by a unit a day until things even out.

Quick question - you doing this in one or two injections daily? Lantus will tend to work better in two injections, and you'll need less.

9. Bsbllmom

Bsbllmom Approved members

Well normally you would take lantus in the same amount as your total daily basal. But that isn't working so I would do as Wilf said and take a couple extra units. If it were my son I would also give him 30 if he was running that high. Is the Lantus still good? Maybe it is almost expired.

10. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

Malyssa...Im sorry you are dealing with this! I have no advice for the Lantus, being that your dose is way higher than Amandas 5 unit dose! When will you get back on the pump?
    Are you getting ready to graduate soon?? Prom? I havent talked to you in forever!!!

11. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

I ended up doing 30 units yesterday and it worked really well after it had time to start working. My overnight was amazing. I haven't seen my overnight numbers without a spike since the last time I was on Lantus, so that was really nice. It's also helpful that I have my Dexcom to see whats going on. But yeah, I love Lantus for this reason. I could never quite get my basals to keep me as steady as the Lantus did/does.

I am doing one injection of Lantus daily. I never learned how to do that. :eek:

Yeah, the Lantus is still good. I Just think it needed time to build up in my body for a few days, and I needed a lot more than was first suggested by endo. :rolleyes:

5 units!?!? Thats nothin! LOL.
    Well, we arent even bothering with the Cozmo because Smiths is giving us some major issues, and the MM replacement should be here today. But, I am taking a mini pump vacation until we get our PING. Because of the whole Cozmo thing, we have decided to switch. So, I will start from scratch in a few weeks when my Ping gets here. :) Until then, I am enjoying being pumpless!
    Yeah, we graduate June 17th! Can't wait!! No Prom for me. My friends and I have decided not to go, but instead to all hang out for the night. Our senior prom is held in atlantic city, in a huge ballroom, and that's just not me. So we will just hang out together without all the drama!

Thank you so much everyone!!! :)