- advertisement -

help with infusion set changes

Discussion in 'Insulin Pumps' started by ann-lolly, Jul 19, 2006.

1. ann-lolly

ann-lolly Approved members

We have just started on the pump and so far so good but today is the dayto change our infusion set and we cannot get the old set off without my daughter going nuts saying it hurts. what do you use to get the old siteds off. I was so worried it would not stick with her being so active, I noever thought we could not get it off after 2 days. Any input is very much appreicated, thanks Ann

2. AmyMcCracken

AmyMcCracken Approved members

I have used alcohol or baby oil. The baby oil seems to work better. Try getting the edges up and letting the baby oil or alcohol saturate the material. If you can let that sit for a few minutes then try soaking her in the tub.

The stuff is pretty sticky. I've started using the UniSolve and it really helps.

I used to have the same problem with my daughter. Hang in there and Good luck.

3. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

Yep, Unisolv, Detachol, or PDI Adhesive Tape Remover Pad (a bit cheaper I think) really helps. I think a lot of parents also schedule set change for after a nice soaky bath and sort of gradually pick away at the endges in the tub.

Remember, too, it's like band-aids: will hurt a lot less if you stretch the skin taut.

4. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

De-solv-it

I use de-solv-it to remove the old sets. I buy it from the supermarket and it is an orange based, household, adhesive remover (it removes chewing gum, pen marks and other stuff as well). I was using Remove wipes but they are so much more expensive. De-solv-it seems to work just as well.:cwds:

5. ann-lolly

ann-lolly Approved members

Thanks for you help. i maanged to call a local medical supply store and they had remove so I got that and it worked pretty good. I plan on trying ghe baby oil and de-slov-it since they might be a bit cheaper. Thanks for all your input. It really helps. Ann

6. darcyann3

darcyann3 Approved members

Trevor just started on the pump two weeks ago and we had the same exact problem. I use Goo Gone which sounds like the same thing the one parent advised that you get in supermarkets or places like Wal Mart, Target in the house cleaning area. I just put some on a cotton ball and dab the area's and wait a minute and it comes off so easily. Plus it isn't that expensive considering you don't use too much at once. I think the bottle I just bought for a 4oz was $2.99. Good Luck!!!!

Darcy