- advertisement -

help with food

Discussion in 'School and Daycare' started by bayleesmom, Mar 23, 2006.

1. bayleesmom

bayleesmom Approved members

I am the mother of a 5 yr old little girl, who was just dx'd with type 1 on 1/30/06. We are still struggling and learning. Baylee is a very picky eater and she refuses to eat veggies at all. We still have both highs and lows at any given time. She is suppose to eat 45 carbs in the morning and 60 carbs for lunch and supper. I feel this is a ton of food for her to eat, or maybe I just need some more ideas. I am afraid that she is eating the wrong food. The hospital told us to just look at carbs for now. I would love for some of you to give me meal ideas. I think i am still a little overwelmed with all there is to take in. Now I am questioning myself and hoping I am learning enough to provide the foods that She needs to help her.:confused: Any help would be welcomed. This is my 2nd day on this site. I am so thankful to know you are all out there and we are in this together.:)

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Oh how I remember those days. You must be on NPH. Tell the endo's office that this is too many carbs for your daughter. She would simply take less insulin. Way back then, we depended on juice a lot. My son developed terrible eating habits with the forced feeding of NPH. He ate a lot of junk food. He is on Lantus now, and he is getting better at eating more healthy food.

3. AmyMcCracken

AmyMcCracken Approved members

My daughter is 5 and we've always used Lantus. I still have trouble getting her to eat enough carbs. She loves Chocolate Milk and I mix it so 1 cup = 20 carbs. This is the best way I've found to even get close to 40grams in the morning.

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Hi,

We've never had to follow such a strict eating pattern since we were on multiple daily injections from the start, and we are now pumping. Two really good cookbooks that I use are:
    America's Best Cookbook for Kids with Diabetes by Colleen Bartley

Cooking up Fun for Kids with Diabetes by Patti B. Geil

Does your endo's office offer the services of a dietician? They are great in helping you plan meals and giving snack ideas. The amount of carbs your child is being told to consume does seem like a lot for a 5 year old. I know on average mine will only eat about 30 at breakfast, 45 for luch and dinner. The only way she would go any higher than that is if we give her a special treat such as cookies or fruit chews.
    It seems that my daughter eats about 5 basic things, and that's it. Once in a great while I get her to try something new and it's a miracle:) We are lucky that she eats fruits, veggies and salad. Right after she had been diagnosed, she had a real aversion to diary. I don't know why, but she wouldn't touch milk. So, now we do smoothies (15g for a Danimal) or milk with Ovaltine. Ovaltine is nice because it not only has vitamins but for some reason doesn't wreck with her BS. We also do what is called peanut butter lollipops. Basically it's 2 plastic spoons with 1Tbl each of pb. It's a nice protien snack, but not overly high in carbs.

Hang in there. Just use your best judgement and instincts when it comes to your child. Things will get easier, with some days being better than others.
    Good luck.

5. ann-lolly

ann-lolly Approved members

My daughter is 5 yrs old also and dx'd on 12/21/05. We were told to have between 30-45 carbs at each meal and 15-30 a snacks. 60 carbs sound like alot for a meal for a 5 yr old. My daughter loves yogurts and gogurts, also mac and cheese and any kind of bread or rolls--She loves making cresent rolls and can eat 45 carbs in that alone. we have also just given her an apple juice if she does not want enought but she loves food. Maybe you should let yourendo team know that 60 carbs is too much and maybe they will lower her insulin dose. i call or email our nurse practioner atleast once a week and they are always very helpful. Good luck---Ann

6. cydnimom

cydnimom Approved members

I would consult with the dietician if you are having a hard time getting the carbs into her. You shouldn't have to be looking for "condensed" carbs all of the time. Sometimes is okay because there are just some days that you don't feel like eating. If its everyday then I think it is too much. Keep a food log. I still do, and it has helped me immensely when I go back to try and figure out what is going on or to track trends.

My son is almost 6 (dx 6 months ago) - he gets 45 breakfast, 20 snack, 55 lunch, 20 snack, 70 supper, 20 snack. He's big too - 50" tall and 50 lbs (not fat). We do the NPH and Humalog thing.

If I know that he is not hungry I will usually reduce his Humalog. I use a sliding scale. It may be too soon for you, but it might be something that you want ask about. If he is going to a birthday party or if I cook a favourite food of his I also use the sliding scale to counter any extra carbs he eats. I often wait until he is finished eating before I give him his shot, sometimes he just says give me another one mommy.

Anyhow, if you're looking for carbs - for breakfast I do smoothies with regular yogurt, milk and fruit. If he decides midmeal that he's not hungry anymore I end up putting chocolate syrup in his milk. Pasta is also notorious for being fairly high carbed. If you mix it with some whole grain pasta you can get the fibre they need too.