- advertisement -

Help with first time using extended bolus for Chinese?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by bandmkolb, Aug 2, 2012.

1. bandmkolb

bandmkolb Approved members

I want to use the extended bolus for Chinese food. We have not used extended yet and was wondering what's a good place to start? Maybe 40% up front and extend the rest for 2 hours? In the passed he did run pretty high for several hours after. Also I understand YDMV.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Our running joke with our CDE, who is married to a type 1 and who has been at this for decades is,
    "Have you figured out chinese yet?"
    "No, have YOU figured out chinese yet?"
    "Nope"

We're having it tonight - we'll do estimated carbs, add 25 %, dual wave (combo) bolus 60/40 over 4 hours and it still won't be right :p

3. sooz

sooz Approved members

I was going to say, there is a lot of hidden sugar in Chinese food. I know people use the dual wave for high fat meals, good to know it may help with Chinese too.

4. bandmkolb

Funny! But I don't have a clue what dual wave combo bolus means?! We decided on BBQ instead. Maybe a good thing... :p

5. sooz

sooz Approved members

I think dual wave and extended are the same thing..

6. bandmkolb

Ok thanks! Still learning...:rolleyes:

7. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

a dual wave would be like a combo, a portion now and the rest over a set period of time.

an extended bolus is a set amount, with ALL of the bolus over a period of time.

8. sooz

sooz Approved members

Thanks for the clarification!

9. bandmkolb

Yes, Thank you.

10. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

your welcome!

11. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

Actually, the OP had it correct. With Omnipod the extended bolus is the term to use. There is no dual wave, there is only extended, which gives you the option of giving a percentage up front, and then the rest over whatever time you choose, or you can give nothing up front and extend the entire bolus. It can also be set to deliver in units instead, but we have always used percentages.

That being said, we still haven't figured out Chinese food, just gave it up! For other things such as pasta, etc, we usually go with 50% up front and then extend over 3 hours. The nice thing is that you can always change it and shorten the time up if they start to creep up too high, or cancel it if the go too low.

12. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

LOL, well 230 at 3:00 am :rolleyes: (should have checked at 2:00) but largely, I think, because a second serving of friend rice went uncovered. Without that, I think the combo ( I still like this term best from the Cozmo days, though mm calls it a dual wave) would have worked pretty well. Though we did 40/60 since she was a bit low into dinner.

One of these days ( maybe our 11th year will be the charm :p) we'll get it right.;)