- advertisement -

help with contact detach infusion sets

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Austins mom, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Austins mom

Austins mom Approved members

My 8 yr old son uses the contact detach infusion sets and he is very thin.... Dr told us not to put them on the center of his tummy anymore because he was getting hard spots :( I moved them out a few inches and they hurt him, I then put them on the back of his upper arm and his blood sugars keep going high.

Any suggestions???

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Contach Detach is the same as the Sure-T, yes? Try the bum. My daughter says they hurt on the arms/legs. She also hypafixes over the site because she says otherwise she can feel them shift.

3. mocha

mocha Approved members

Contact Detach and Sure Ts are the same thing.

I personally like using my legs and arms. I don't think I've done a tummy site in almost a decade...I suddenly feel old.

Anyway, legs and butt are good places to try.

4. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Like suggested above, I would try taping them on the stomach to see if that helps. I like using a small square of opsite flexifix over the sticker with the needle.

You may also consider trying the insets. I use the mios (medtronic version of insets) and even when I was extremely thin I had no issues with kinking. I'm still pretty lean and I can basically put the mios anywhere even if it seems like it would be going into muscle. Animas or your endo office should be able to provide samples so you don't have to order a whole box without knowing if they will work or not :)

5. Austins mom

thank you all for the great ideas! We tried on the behind and he seems to be doing ok! I think we will try a different type of set maybe.... :)

6. dshull

dshull Approved members

Thought I'd chime in as well. My son is 9 and on the Ping, also very lean. We have found that we really can only use the contact detach. We use the upper bum exclusively and cover the site with IV3000. This has worked really well for him. We tried the leg and it would be ok for a few hours and then he would start screaming that it hurt. I think once he started moving around it would hit muscle. Have not tried the arm because we use that for dex and he's so tall I wasn't convinced the tubing would make it. We have tried the inset 30s and while *I* like them, he hates them. I like them because you can go three days before changing them but he says they hurt going in and truly, we've had some fall out or get kinked because he is so skinny.

Let me know if you find another set that works for the skinny boys! We really were fighting with him to try new sets or sites on his body, and the CDE said to let it go for awhile. Apparently with the steel needles you run less risk of scar tissue so we try to be diligent about rotating.

7. Ali

Ali Approved members

Double check that you are using the shortest needle available.

8. Austins mom

wow, thanks for the information! His endo told me that the contact detach was the best for his body type.... Also, We just tried the "luv" handle that he hardly has lol, that seems to be working ok to !