- advertisement -

Help with Carelink

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by rdhead, May 7, 2011.

1. rdhead

rdhead Approved members

We have an endo apt in an hour and a half. This is the first apt since our pump start last month. I just downloaded all of ds pump info using the carelink system. The trouble I'm having is that I need to enter other bg readings as ds takes his one touch mini to school. I don't want to have to worry about him losing the one that goes with his pump. What I need to know is, is there a way to manually add the additional bg readings? I've seen where I can add additional carbs or exercise etc but for the life of me I can't figure out how to add these additional numbers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

2. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

nope, there isn't a way to manually enter. Isn't that the most ridiculous thing?

what I've started having DS do is use the "capture" function in the pump when he takes a random BG at school that won't get recorded in his pump.

3. PixieStix

PixieStix Approved members

Too late for your appointment today, but you could order an USB interface cable from Lifescan (looks like they are about $30) and then always upload your meter readings into Carelink. My DS only uses a Precision Xtra meter, we bought the cable from Abbott and upload his meter readings this way, works great and ensures the Carelink reports capture the entire story when you are looking at them trying to make sense of what is happening.

If you were really diligent you could use the "Capture Event" feature to put in BGs at the time you use the other meter, or even enter them in the Bolus Wizard even if not giving any insulin (doesn't show in bolus history but does show up in the reports). Sounds easy enough but we usually didn't do it, so just broke down and paid for the cable. Could always ask the company if they will give for free too :)

4. slpmom2

slpmom2 Approved members

If your son is entering his BGs into his pump manually when he takes a reading, they will be in the data that are downloaded. The meter BGs show up as squares and the linked meter BGs show up as circles (or the other way around). No way to enter them into Carelink later, that I'm aware of. For this reason, we ask dd to always enter her BGs when she's at school, even if there's no correction needed - that way we have the data all on the pump.