- advertisement -

Help with 504 at School

Discussion in 'School and Daycare' started by Deedwa, Oct 7, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Deedwa

Deedwa New Member

I will try to keep this short.
    Son (age 5) was diagnosed in Jan 09 with type 1. This is his first year of school. We are in the process of working with the school to get a 504 plan in place. We put together a 504 that we thought was appropriate for our child. The school reviewed it and removed (they called it condensed) about 60 percent of the plan. Now at our last meeting they said that they would like to put this condensed version of the plan into effect temporarily and that they want to pursue an IEP instead for our child. I thought an IEP was for children that had other learning disabilities? Our child does not have any other problems besides the diabetes. This stuff is all new to us and we are very frustrated in trying to figure this all out. We contacted the local JDRF and they do not have a mentor that goes to our school. We do have a diabetes management plan that we have been using to this point. My position is that I would just like to have a 504 and DMP in place so my child can receive the same educational opportunities as the other children. BTW, my wife also works part time at the school as a substitute monitor and does provide care to our child when she is there but she is not there all of the time. Also, the school nurse, his teacher and other school personnel have been very cooperative with attending to his needs it's just that the school administration is very resistant to doing a 504 and want to pursue the IEP instead.

Any comments, suggestions, or discussions on this would be appreciated.

Thank you

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Which state are you in?

JDRF typically does not advocate in the schools.

There have been many threads on the 504 in the schools lately, but knowing the state you are in is helpful.

What did they leave out in their condensed plan?

3. Deedwa

Deedwa New Member

We are in Ohio. As far as what they left out, there were things documented in the 504 that they said was also defined in the DMP and it was redundant to have it in both documents.

4. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

This is true. You probably need to decide in which document you want the points. I try to keep the 504 on how they are accommodating my son -- that he can test when he wants, where he wants and leave class to deal with problems, etc. The medical plan details what the school needs to know about the specifics of his managing diabetes -- what to give to raise the blood sugar, how much insulin at meals, etc.

Others will chime in, I am sure.

My son self manages at school, so his 504 is quite short.