- advertisement -

Help! We have fleas!

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Andrew's Mom, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Andrew's Mom

Andrew's Mom Approved members

Anyone have experience with fleas? Our indoor cat has a case of fleas and I am afraid of an infestation in my house. How can we rid ourselves cheaply. I went to Petco and bought Advantage put it on the cat put him out side until tomorrow because package says it kills them in 12 hours. I plan on letting him back in the morning. I have vacuumed every room. Washed every blanket, pillow and stuffed animal in the house. I would rather not use any chemicals in the house. Tell your experience please.

2. lauraqofu

lauraqofu Approved members

I'm curious as to why you put the kitty outside? As long as you tell the kids not to touch kitty, it can stay inside...and bonus...every where kitty hangs out the advantage on him will kill fleas that are already there. There's no reason to put him outside.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  3. Andrew's Mom

I got parnoid about the fleas. I figured if it takes 12 hours to kill the fleas. He could come back in in the morning and no more live fleas to add to anything that might be going on inside. Probably doesn't make sense but I visited a relative when I was younger and they had fleas bad and they ate me so bad.

4. Andrew's Mom

So if any of the fleas that might be in the house jump on him they will die after the first 12 hours?

5. Emilyk1054

Emilyk1054 Approved members

We're been at war for months with fleas, and are finally winning. We've tried every spray and chemical under the sun. Frontline and any other drops for our cat seem to be a joke. The cat still has a few, but we vacume every room every single day. I even considered finding a new home for our cat, but I cant. Love his bug butt too much.
    I was promised by our vet as it starts to freeze outside it will get better.

6. lauraqofu

lauraqofu Approved members

Seriously? No, the place the cat sleeps likely have fleas and flea eggs and since cats habitually sleep in the same places, the advantage will kill the fleas in those spots...

7. Jessica L

Jessica L Approved members

They are a pain. One tip bit a flea collar in your vacuum either bag or canister it helps kill them I know in a bag that way you dont vacuum and they all just jump back out. Do NOT use more than one flea killing product on your cat at once. Like no shampoo (i know its a cat not going to happen lol) and the advantage stuff. It can poison it.

8. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

oh god. shudder, we had them once. Our yard was infested and our upstairs neighbors had 3 cats and the cats brought them in the common areas of the building, and we brought them in while in the yard. It was a nightmare.

Fleas will not die. They just wait until they find a host. Honestly, the only thing you can do is bomb your house. a lot. The chemicals suck but it's really the only good way. You need to spray the yard too. It will help once the weather changes. Is anyone getting attacked in your house? Usually the fleas like only one person. That person was me. I was COVERED with bites. covered. I still sometimes wake up from nightmares about it. It was one of the most disgusting things I have ever had to deal with.

9. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

yeah, agreed. we shampooed our cat and then put a flea collar on him and he had a bad reaction.

10. Emma'sDad

Emma'sDad Approved members

I remember when I met DW over 14 years ago, her cats got fleas at her apartment that she had when she went to university. Seems to me it was quite easy to get rid of them with the Advantage stuff and we also put collars on them for awhile. One of those cats is still live today and has never had fleas ever again. Seems to me the application of the Advantage on the back of the neck keeps working for a few months afterwards.

11. MReinhardt

MReinhardt Approved members

One thing, when you vacuum, take the bag outside and burn it. Fleas can leap out of the bags on the lawn. Then your fighting flea's in on the lawn all over again.

Advantage is a very good product. What every you do please, please, please dont use Hartz product flea products. Omaha TV station did a segment on Hartz products, their products burned the animals. http://www.kmtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=13000448

IF you have to resort to use the bug bombs, everything will have to be washed down afterwords, toys, tables, chairs, dishes, counters, stove, you name it...it will be alot of work.

Keeping a good flea n tick products on your animals all the time.

Last of all....Flea's are a really big problems this year in many area's.

12. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Years ago when we had a indoor only cat we had a huge flea breakout. I hated using flea sprays on the caret only but we only did it some. We found a flea med(a pill to swallow) from the vet worked great. That brand is off the market though. I even bought a bissell steam cleaner. It killed the eggs , larve(gross) in the carpet. Now our outdoor/indoor cat has a the advantage that you rub in the fur behind the neck.

13. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

As others have said once the weather is colder, the fleas will diminish. However, be aware they are only dormant - they can reappear in the spring. (I know from experience :()

I would continue to use the Advantage on the cat through the winter months and be extra vigilant about vacuuming, washing etc.

I used a mixture of Borax + something else (can't remember what - from the internet) on the carpet to help kill the fleas. It did help but you need a really powerful vacuum to get it all out.

Good Luck.

14. Tori's Mom

Tori's Mom Approved members

We used to have a rental house and one tenant left it COMPLETELY infested. We had to use the chemical spray. Sprayed all of the carpeted areas. Then a couple weeks later went back and shampoo'd the carpets since I did not like the idea of the chemical residue staying in the carpet. Worked great. (thank goodness) NASTY little critters.

15. Andrew's Mom

My husband let Cosmo the Cat back in last night and gave him a good bath in tub and good brushing. The Advantage seems like it worked. We saw only a few slow moving fleas. As for getting bit Andrew has had 4 or 5 bites, I have had 3. There not bothering anyone else so I hope caught them early. Cosmo taking turns sleeping with all of us through the night:eek: So I have washed all bedding:( I read that salt kills them so I covered the carpets and the boys beds with it after I vacuumed every inch. I don't see them jumping so hopefully we will have dodged the bullet.