- advertisement -

Help us pick a pump for a 16 year old male!!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by lovemychild, May 14, 2013.

1. lovemychild

lovemychild Approved members

Our son is going on the pump this summer for the first time and we can't wait. We have looked at most of them and he says NO to the Omnipod for sure. So, we are thinking of the Medtronic Revel or the Tslim. He does ride a Honda crf450r racing dirt bike. We need to know how you like your pump and what you don't like about your pump. :confused: Just not sure which one would be best for him. Please help with any suggestions you may have :).

2. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

The minimed is all we've used, and so far, so good! I think not having bolus amounts begin at the suggested dose instead of having to scroll up from zero (like the animas does) is helpful for my son.

I don't know much about the tslim, but from what little bit of looking I did, it seems pretty great. I wonder about the touch screen, if it will really last 4 years without getting scratched. Maybe someone who has one can chime in on that. (I would be super careful with it, but I doubt a teenage boy is going to take as good care of it.) I would like to some day use the integrated CGM--that was part of the reason we picked this one (a small part). Cartridge/reservoir size will be an important consideration for a 16 year old. (Someone I know went back to shots because their pump didn't hold enough insulin for 3 days and it wans't worth it--he was 17 or 18.)

I don't think riding a dirt bike will make much difference in which pump to choose. All of the tubed pumps will be similar in that regard.

See if you can get your hands on the one(s) you're looking at. Get some input from your endo/CDE. They are all good products, and the features that are important to you will become clear as you get a chance to see them. Some people pick which brand because of the color. :) Not really, but almost! They really are quite similar and you will most likely be happy with any of them.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I'd want the Tslim were I 16 :cool:

4. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

We just got home from a meeting with the Tslim rep. We've only used Animas to date, and have no issue at all with it. The push for change has to do with cartridge size primarily, which I didn't really factor in at age 15...I didn't really think he could eat MORE than he was at 15 but I was wrong! His basals need are pretty high too. The 300 unit cartridge is feeling like a necessity at this point.

It appears to be very durable, she had him literally drop it on its face! Wish phones would follow suit in that department.

Pumping is a pretty personal experience, my advice would be to meet with reps for the companies you are looking at and allowing your son to button push. Tslim's touch screen is very appealing to the teen set so I'd definitely look at that option.

5. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I would highly recommend having him actually try using both of them. Go through the process of changing a set, giving a bolus, setting a temp basal rate etc.
    At least in my experience once you actually touch the available pumps it is pretty clear which one works best for you.

I may be in the minority on this but I really wouldn't worry about durability. All the pumps on the market are really tough (don't ask what mine have been through ;)) and they all have great warranties.

Good luck! Pumping is great and I am sure your son will love whichever pump he choses. If you have any specific questions about the medtronic pump I am happy to answer them- I have been pumping with MM for over 10 years.

6. sooz

sooz Approved members

Just curious about why he was so against the Omnpod?

7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

What does it matter? :confused:

8. lovemychild

getting a pump

He didn't want the Omnipod b/c he said it was too much to be hanging on him. He is still very very thin and he has gained 50 pounds he still has more weight to gain. Being 16 he doesn't want it to look funny on him. I think for our insurance the Omnipod would be way too much every month. Still thinking of the Medtronic Revel or the Tslim. Thank you all for helping and anyone else that can help us would be nice. :)

9. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Oh, sorry, I just realized I never actually answered your specific question :D

I use the Medtronic Revel 723 and have used the MM 511, 515, 522, and the Omnipod. I attempted, unsuccessfully, to use the Animas Ping.

This is for the MM 723.

Things I like:
    1. It takes under 15 seconds to bolus. I LOVE the direct bolus wizard button.
    2. It only takes 1 button press to know active insulin.
    3. The menus are simple and no matter how low or exhausted I am, I can navigate them.
    4. The process for filling a reservoir is super easy and getting rid of bubbles is quick and easy.
    5. Medtronic has a huge international presence. Ex: I spent last summer in Nigeria and my US rep gave me a contact in Lagos. I will be in Saudi Arabia this summer and they have an entire office in the ME that can help me out if I have a problem.
    6. I only have a tiny set on my body and I can disconnect if I want to or need to. It feels less "medical" then having the bigger pod on my arm or stomach.
    7. Customer service for the pump is awesome! Literally, from day 1 Medtronic has been there for my family every step of the way. I consider the reps we have had over the years as members of our family and my parents would agree.
    8. I like the CGM and the way all the data is integrated. BUT I think for someone just getting started the dexcom may be a better choice (and they should integrate with tslim eventually...).

Things I don't like:
    1. There are lots of confirmation screens when changing a set. I can understand in the beginning that is important but I have been doing this for 10 years; I am not going to prime the tubing while it is connected to me. I wish I could turn them off.
    2. You can only use Medtronic's sets unless you use a different reservoir. That means some of the cool sets such as the orbit ones are basically off limits.
    3. The integrated CGM isn't as user friendly as the dexcom.
    4. The screen is ugly and the pump isn't even that attractive compared to the others.
    5. I would really like a silicone skin (ideally in light purple or turquoise) like the Animas offers.

10. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Whatever you do, or he does, I wouldn't get a pump with anything less that a 300u cartridge which leaves the Tslim or the 723 (what my daughter has).

11. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I think this chart might be helpful for you, it lays out all the features of all the pumps on one page:

http://www.diabetesnet.com/diabetes-technology/insulin-pumps/current-pumps/pump-comparison

We have the Ping, we like it, especially the remote feature. We do not like the fact that it only holds 200u (technically it only holds 187) of insulin. You might want to keep that in mind. Overall, all the pumps do the same thing, deliver insulin. Some have more bells and whistles, some have tubes, some don't, some look really cool (Tslim, what my daughter wants!), some hold more insulin than others.

12. Lee

Lee Approved members

We pump with the Revel - at 15, she is like your son, she doesn't want the pod. We are going to look at the TSlim, not really because we are dissatisfied with the Revel, more because the TSlim is 'cooler' (15 :rolleyes:). But we do love our MM, it is very durable, and if something happens, they replace it with no issues.

I also want to take one moment and plug the G4 CGMS - it is the best D device out there - it isn't a pump, but it is awesome!

13. sooz

sooz Approved members

It doesn't matter, I was just curious.

14. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

My son just started pumping after 5+ years of MDI.

We chose the t:slim. He liked the sleek look and touch screen, and I liked the ease of menus and the 300 unit reservoir. For a teenage boy (read eating machine), the larger reservoir was a big factor for us.
    He's been pumping for a month now, and so far so good. No major complaints about the t:slim.

The pumps all perform the same basic function (deliver insulin), but they all have some different bells and whistles. It just depends what particular features are important to you and your son.

My advice is to contact the reps and have them come to you and show youths pumps. You and your son can hold them and run through the menus and see which one you think will work better for him.

15. wvchinacat

wvchinacat Approved members

We have just started using the Tslim for our 12 year old. There are 2 things so far that I miss from the Animas Ping.
    1. It boluses VERY SLOW. (THis can be a good thing) We were used to very fast boluses on the ping. We noticed it tonight when we were swimming and I wanted to remove the pump and bolus for the missing basal and correct for her high bg. She was so ready to head in the pool - it seemed like forever . . .

2. The meter does not talk to the pump. And while this does not seem like a big deal - I loved that when I did download her Ping pump I could see accurate bg data. Not sure even how to put a low bg into the pump if we are not going to bolus . . . Just for recording purposes.

Oh and one more thing that I noticed tonight . . . there is a feature Quick Bolus - but I could not figure out how to use it - I will have to refer to the manual later -but I really wanted that feature at the pool when I was covering for the missed basals each hour while she was swimming.

Other than that . . . She loves the T Slim . . . I'm getting used to it - we also LOVED our ping for 4 years! And we are using Apidra successfully in the TSlim - I know I have read that others have not have favorable results - but we are.

Good luck

16. rachabetic

rachabetic Approved members

I just wanted to respond to a few of the things you didn't like about the Tslim.

To answer your #2. If you want to put in a blood sugar for record purposes, you can press bolus, type on the number, and then cancel the bolus. It should be saved into the pump immediately.

To answer your #3. You can do the quick bolus on either grams or units of insulin. I set it for 5 grams, because I figured that was an increment that would be most helpful to me. You hold down the button on the top until it beeps or vibrates. Then you press it however number of times until you get the amount you want. So if I wanted to bolus for 15 grams, I'd press the button 3 times. Then it will beep 3 times to confirm, and again to deliver. It seemed pretty easy, and like it would work well. :)

Oh, and for the OP, I've been pumping with minimed for over 10 years, and am switching to the Tslim. There isn't really anything wrong with minimed, but for me, I am ready for a change. The sleek look and feel of the Tslim doesn't hurt either. :p

17. piratelight

piratelight Approved members

My son has been using the t:slim since Dec and loves it! It's smaller so fits in his pocket better (his words). He has previously used MM and the Cozmo prior to that. I love the site change reminders. I like the ease of navigating the pump. i love not having to scroll up numbers for BG or carbs etc. I like just punching in the numbers.

We both have been more than thrilled with the t:slim. No, the meter doesn't talk to the pump but we found we were ok with that.

We use the nex dexcom with it and I love that too! And like that I can have the receiver with me, it doesn't always have to be on him like with the MM. Though we now have 2 receivers and I carry one and he has his.

18. lovemychild

This will be his first pump so I think we are going with the Medtronic Revel. He is 16 and I think for me the Tslim will be confusing bc I'm older and me and technology don't get along. Everyone says you can't go wrong with a Medtronic.:)

19. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Is the Accu Chek combo available yet ? I have seen it advertised here. I think it can be a great fit for some people especially as a first pump..

20. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Just keep in mind that he will be using this pump for the next 4 or more years, so it's really a matter of which pump he feels more comfortable interacting with and wearing. Your learning curve with either pump with be short and steep - he, however, will have to interact with this pump day in day out - it really can influence a Type 1's relationship to their disease. If he likes the tSlim there's no good reason to not go with it, imho.

My 15 year old has a medtronic and it's her 3rd brand of pump and she's never liked it. Compared to our old Cozmo she thinks it's neurotic and uptight :p When you live with a pump it really does take on a personality and hopefully a good one.