- advertisement -

Help temp basal for 6 year-old

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Joseph, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Joseph

Joseph Approved members

We started pumping at age 3 and basal was so little that temps were useless, now we should start using them but whenever we have tried... Wrong dose or wrong timing. Any suggestions?

2. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

I've definitely had some failed attempts at using temp basals, other times it has worked beautifully. It's something where rules that work for one child are a disaster for another (and many other variables come into play, as I'm sure you know). It requires some amount of trial and error. Don't give up just yet. :)

Can you give some examples of what you've tried and how it turned out? Are you taking about temps for raising or lowering? Or both? This will help us make suggestions you can actually use. :)

3. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

I agree, it's all about trial and error with temp basals. One thing we've noticed is the sooner the better, and longer is often not better.

4. dpr

dpr Approved members

We use temp basal a lot. Like most everything in diabetes it's try and adjust. It takes different amounts depending on the situation your trying to adjust for. For us if it's a night time growth spurt even 200% wont cover it. We end up at 200 plus huge corrections. For colds or sick days we start bumping in 20% increments. Also remember if your trying to fix a high your already behind in basal so you need to guess how much your already behind and add that to a correction. For low days we drop in 20% increments to find the right amount. It definitely takes some practice but is well worth the effort and after a while it's old hat.

5. Joseph

Joseph Approved members

Our problem is trying to avoid a low, we are too conservative and end up high...

6. Mimikins

Mimikins Approved members

Temp basals are my best friend (especially to account for increased physical activity and other things that would be a PITA to create a pump profile for), but a lot of it is trial and error. Most of the time, I temp adjust 10-15% (small enough to get an idea of whether I'm heading in the right direction without seeing major highs/lows), assess in 4-5 hours, and readjust until I find something that keeps me relatively stable.

The big thing to remember is that you won't see the full effect of the temp basal until 2-3 hours later. If I temp lower my basal for increased activity, I'll be fighting "old basal" for 2-3 hours after making the change (as a result, I'll need to cover any exercise during that time with carbs until the new basal is in full effect).

7. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

This may be the most important thing to know when figuring out temp basals. :)

8. shannong

shannong Approved members

I find setting a reduced temp basal often results in highs later. I really prefer to just not bolus for food if my son is being active. I do use temp basals during the night all the time and I find them most effective at dealing with highs or lows. If my son is going low while he is sleeping, I find a reduced temp basal can often change things around without having to give carbs (especially if there is no IOB). But during the day, when he is active, I leave his basal setting and just give carbs. My son is always hungry anyways!