- advertisement -

Help removing Opsite Flexifix

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by Nancy in VA, May 29, 2009.

1. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

We use it over the Navigator tape that doesn't stay on too well

Well, the Opsite Flexifix stays on well - almost too well

Its worse to pull it off than to insert the sensor in the first place.

I'm using Unisolve wipes but all they are doing is creating a gummy mess that still hurts when I pull - and of couse the part underneath the transmitter mount sticks well and she cries a lot when I reach that point

Any tips are appreciated

2. abrayome

abrayome Approved members

We have the same problem, I soak the whole thing with baby oil and let it sit, like her infusion sites, but it doesn't really help. It takes at least two unisolve pads and we still have gunk leftover. I've noticed that the sween cream I rub on after removal does help some of the leftover glue come off.

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Nancy, we use De-Solv-It. I think we ordered it from Amazon.com. Another trick is to fold a little corner of the tape under to stick to itself when you put it on. That gives you a place to start when removing it.

We soak the whole area with the De-Solv-It, wait a couple of minutes, spray a Q-tip with it, and then rub the Q-tip where the skin meets tape, while slowly pulling back. He's used to it now, so I can move more quickly, but at first it took FOREVER, and he'd yell the entire time!

I also think that Lee (Becky) has posted that she rubs Skin-Tac on OVER the Opsite when she puts it on. Apparently it kind of "firms it up" and makes it easier to remove eventually. We haven't tried that yet.

4. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

I bought DeSolveIt when unisolve wasn't working. The great thing about DeSolve it is that it's organic, made for the skin, and you can spray it directly on the site. The entire site gets really soaked in with it and it's great.

The other thing I did with a really really sticky Navigator was to take a Q-tip, dip it in desolveit and gently rub it between the site and the skin. This worked great.

Good luck!!

BTW, I got the DeSolve it at a TruValue hardware store.

5. Jacque471

Jacque471 Approved members

Hmm, we haven't had any problem just finding an edge and pulling it up slowly. Logan says it's itchy when I remove it and it will always pull out the sensor itself so I know it is still stuck down really good. Usually it all comes off, sometimes there is a little reisidue around the top edge where his clothes have rubbed against it, but that usually comes off easily in his bath.

May the difference is we do it on his behind? I will keep these other posts and hints in mind though in case we start running into trouble!

6. Diana

Diana Approved members

Hmmm. We used it on my son's tummy and just pulled it off with no problems. He never complained. I wonder if it would be different on his arm where he has more hair. He screamed bloody murder when I tried taking a bandaid off his shin, so I know he isn't just being "tough" about it.

The DeSolve it stuff sounds cool.

7. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

My kids would scream when taking off the opsite because they have hair on their arm. Toward the end of using it, they liked to slowly take it off themselves a little bit a time.

When taking off Ethan's fast it ripped off hair like waxing! You could see hair on the tape! Ouch.

8. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

I am actually having more trouble removing the tape on the Navigator itself and have only been using one strip across the transmitter. I take off the sensor first, then take my time using liquid Unisolve and a Q tip starting from the top. This tape is just sticking so much more than it was before for some reason. Maybe it is because I am using Bards and another brand instead of the alcohol free ones that I am out of now. I may get some of the Desolve it to see if it works better on her. The liquid Unisolve isn't cheap and I feel like I am using a lot of it. Can you buy the DeSolve it locally or just online? I was thinking it was like Goo Gone and I don't want to use that on her skin!

9. betty6333

betty6333 Approved members

I got my bottle at the local ace hardware store.

Many places carry it... google retailers for de -solve- it and you'll see a list of places that carry it!

We don't use it for the sensor, but do for the pods!

10. selketine

selketine Approved members

I am not sure if you are talking about using the unisolve on the skin or getting the tape off the transmitter but our trainer when on and on about not using any adhesive removers on the transmitter. She said it could damage it but I didn't get into specifics.

11. Tori's Mom

Tori's Mom Approved members

The de-solv-it is actually citrus oil based and therefore safe for skin. Recommended usages listed on the bottle include using on the skin. We have used it ever since starting pumping and it is WONDERFUL.

12. Melissata

Yeah, I know not to use it on the transmitter at all. I pull the tape off of that first and remove it, then go to work getting the mount tape off of her skin. I just can't believe how much harder it has become and it took me at least 10 minutes even using the Unisolve and a Q tip. It is like it is stuck on with skin tac and I am not using that at all. I would pull a whole layer of skin off if I just tried to pull it off! I may have to start using Tegaderm under the site, but first I will be visiting Ace to get some DeSolve it. I was worried about summer and keeping the site on, but the way it looks now I won't have a problem.

13. selketine

selketine Approved members

Ah....I just wasn't sure which you meant!;)

I use unisolve and it removes the Nav tape, opsite and iv3000 with hardly any effort. We have the unisolve wipes - like an alcohol wipe size packet.

14. Melissata

I have both the wipes and liquid Unisolve and that just isn't enough to get this stuff off. The opsite isn't the problem, it is the tape on the Navigator itself that is sticking so much. Hubby picked up a bottle of the DeSolve it from Ace today so I am hoping that it works better. It is cheaper and 100% guaranteed it says. I can't believe that something that takes off caulk, silicone, tar, etc. can be used on skin, but it says so right on the label. And it is green and I have a feeling that I will find other uses for it, like for laundry and all kinds of things.
    It really has to do with any individual's skin. My son has absolutely no trouble with the tape or anything with the CGM. You can't even tell where the one was that he took off just hours later. Even as careful as I was, you can still see a red mark where I took it off two days ago. I used a lot of Unisolve and it was as if it were cemented to her skin as I tried to loosen it with the Q tip after letting the Unisolve soak in. I also had the Q tip dipped in Unisolve. It was never this tough before, so I really think that I need to get some more of the other barrier wipes.

15. rickst29

rickst29 Approved members

"DeSolve" sounds really good... here's another

There's another, stronger S&N product which you might try if "Unisolve" doesn't work well-- and if you find that and "DeSolve" doesn't do the job either:

S&N "Remove" pads. In the same way that the formula of "Skin Prep" seems to be a lot like "I.V. Prep" at first glance (even though it actually WORKS vastly better for tape-down appliances such as Sensors) .... Remove works vastly better than Uni-Solve. For me, the whole asembly falls off just from gravity. (So, keep your hands on it to prevent the Transmitter from taking a swim somewhere you didn't want it to.) The formula looks about the same, but somehow, it makes the performance of Uni-Solve seem kinda like Palmolive Dish Washing liquid (in comparison).

But it IS full of nasty, strong chemicals. You should have good ventilation when tearing open one of these packets, and you should throw it away outside, or in the garage, afterwards. Not the "regular" bathroom trash.