- advertisement -

Help regarding pump

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MommytoCsquared, Mar 9, 2012.

1. MommytoCsquared

MommytoCsquared Approved members

Hello,

My son was diagnosed 9/11, and I have been a voyeur for the past few months. I have learned a lot and appreciate not feeling alone.

We are in the process of ordering my son a pump; we opted for the Animas due to the remote delivery option. Connor is very much all boy in the rough and tumble kind of way. I was hoping those who have experience with a 3 yr old with a pump could offer some advice. I have tried finding previous threads, but they are scattered (or I just can't find them):p;

1. Which insets would work best for active 3 year old boy. Animas has 2 types-a 90 and a 30 degree inset.?
    2. Any tricks for keeping the site on?
    3. How do you keep pump on child--belt? clothing? etc? (esp because Connor prefers being in very little clothing when in the house:rolleyes:)
    4. Tips for introducing idea of the pump to your child?

Thanks for any responses...I really appreciate your time.

2. heypb

heypb Approved members

Consider the contact-detach sets too. Our 4 year old has used them for over a year with no issues. I was originally worried because it is a steel set and he's a rough and tumble kind of boy too. But he doesn't notice the set and we don't need to worry about a kinked inset.

He also uses a pump pouch/belt. We have several that we tend to go through in an average week. Here is a link to a variety of sites that sell them

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/pumps/links.htm

To keep the set on we use tegaderm or IV 3000, either worked well for us, but there are plenty of other options out there.

To introduce the idea we started him wearing an empty pack 3 weeks before the pump start, then a week before pump start we put the empty pump in the pack, and kept reminding him that after everything was working there wouldn't be a shot before every meal!

Good luck!

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

If I recall correctly you are not limited to the "insets" with an animas pump - we liked the straight set - but with infusion sets I have always felt that it was really important to get your hands on a few different options. Get samples of both and also ask your endo if they have any other samples or suggestions to look at. What I liked about the inset was the built in inserter.

We've never really had a problem with sites staying on so I cannot suggest any additional adhesives or tapes. I'm sure others will chime in.

I think pump pouches are really handy for the younger ones. Spi-belts are popular but I find the fabric a bit rough for all the time use. Lots of places make softer flannel or cotton pouches. See here, http://www.angelbearpumpstuff.com/index.cfm

Maddie was older when she started pumping. We were pretty matter of fact about it - this is what we're doing now and it will make a lot of things easier. ;) I did take care to prevent her from seeing the introducer needle and we did let her watch TV during site changes. It's usually a hurdle, but most kids do ok with site changes and eventually it becomes no big deal. Others use numbing cream (emla) and you might ask your endo about that.

Good luck!

4. KyleBugsMom

KyleBugsMom Approved members

I second the contact-detach sets. Not only do you not have to worry about kinks, it is a tiny needle so site changes are relatively quick and painless (says my son!). My endo will only allow that set in a young child.

To keep the site on we use skin-tac(we have a Medtronic pump and can order it through them. Not sure if Animas carries it). I then cut a piece of tegaderm in half and place it over the "sticker" on the infusion set - one on each side. We have never lost a site this way. Matter-of-fact we soak the site with alcohol to loosen the adhesive before a site change.

We use a belt for his pump. We like insulinpumppacksforyou.com (or something like that - Google insulin pump packs). They are very soft and she has a ton of different fabrics. We also like the Spibelt.

We didn't do anything special to introduce it, though we did do a saline trial with him before we ordered his pump.

Good luck - you will find what works for you!

5. MommytoCsquared

MommytoCsquared Approved members

Thank you so much for your responses!!

They were very helpful. I am wondering...do the Animas infusion sets kink a lot? What causes kinking?

Thanks for this idea to keep the sites in place. Adding the tegaderm sounds like a great ideas, KyleBugsMom.

Last, I have been looking online at pouch options and was leaning that way...so thanks for the websites.

Again...thanks :D

6. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I really like the SpiBelts too, but there are tons of other websites for insulin pump pouches, some cheaper, some not as cheap.

Along with Tegaderm, there's Hypafix. It comes in a roll, and you cut whatever you need to put over the site to keep it place. We used to exclusively use Tegaderm, but my son started developing an itchiness to it, so we switched to Hypafix.