- advertisement -

HELP! questions on childcare

Discussion in 'School and Daycare' started by zanl11, Apr 21, 2008.

1. zanl11

zanl11 New Member

hello all! i am a brand new member here. just to give you a little background my name is amber and i have a 6 year old daughter with type one diabetes. my daughter was diagnosed at age 2, so we have been living as healthy as possible for the last 4 years. i am a new graduate with a bsn in nursing and about to start my first full time job away from my daughter. i have alot of family support and because of limited school resources in my area, we have been home-schooling my daughter. i am very careful about who i leave her with and am terrified to leave her in the care of someone i dont know because of all the horrifying scenarios that run through my mind. my husband has been offered a better job in the sumter,sc area (we currently live in east tennessee) and i am very concerned about childcare for my daughter. i would like to continue to homeschool her but need to be able to work 2-3 days a week (my husband will be able to provide schooling and care one day a week. but that leaves a need for a caregiver 1-2 days a week). i shutter at the thought of putting her in day care. i was wondering, if i am unable to find private care for her, what kinds of things should i look for in a facility? are there facilities that specialize in care for diabetics or have some kind of special certifications i can look for indicating experience in caring for a child with medical needs? i have no idea where to even start......any ideas or thoughts will be appreciated.

2. Sam's mom

Sam's mom Approved members

I know how hard it is to find childcare. Maybe you could find a parent of another Type I child through your endo's office? I would try calling around at some day cares too--you may find one that already has a Type I child. I found a preschool for my four year old that is run by a woman who is Type II but wears a pump. She has been wonderful and has trained her staff on how to treat her so they already know how to treat my son. I happened to find her through word of mouth. My other childcare provider is a woman who also has a child with Type I. Good luck!

3. melanie46721

melanie46721 Approved members

I agree that you should seek out someone that has a child with type 1 and talk to them about schools. Also talk to the schools and see if anyone on that staff is familiar with diabetes and would know what to do if your child had a low or high and how they would handle it. Check to see if they know what to look for. Hopefully someday I will be able to ease a parent's mind. I finish my degree in December for teaching k-5, and have been type 1 for five years now. My father has had it for 36 years. I wish your child good luck in school.

4. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

HI,

Sorry this response is so late. I don't check this part of the message board very often. Here is a link to a resource and referall agency in Sumter, SC

http://www.childcareaware.org/en/tools/child_care_finder/details.php?oid=50009

They should be able to give you names of providers in the area and may be able to tell you names of providers who have said they will take children with special needs, children who need daily meds or even specifically children with diabetes (or they may not know those details.) The great thing about this agency is they are a Sucess by Six program with the United Way. If they are anything like the one here in Richmond, they are putting huge amounts of time and money into child care in the area to improve the quality.

http://childcare.sc.gov/main/general/facilities/search/index.aspx
    Here is the search page from the SC child care licensing website. You can probably also find out info about licensing regulations on that site. Look to see if there are rules about medications so you know what a provider might need to do in order to give your child insulin.

Other places to look are craigslist and the local newspaper. Ask questions and visit a lot of places before making your final decision. I have found that providers are willing to learn how to care for a child with diabetes but as with anything new, they may be nervous about it. So you have to approach them in a way that tells them this is something they can do and it's not too hard, but it is serious.

The pp who said to look into the schools also has a point. If you are only homeschooling now b/c of the poor schools, maybe the schools in SC will be better.