- advertisement -

Help! Question about my non diabetic child?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by bandmkolb, Mar 9, 2013.

1. bandmkolb

bandmkolb Approved members

My non D daughter was sick on Thursday with a stomach bug. I know signs of D so I checked her BG that day and was 59. She was fine all day yesterday, Friday,
    she ate and drank as normal. She woke this morning (Saturday) and threw up again. I checked BG and was 111 (no food yet) and checked blood ketones and was .8. Should I be concerned about this? I am really freaking out.

2. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

I dont know how large 0.8 keytones are but I wouldnt be worried about the 59, people with out diabtes go low some times too, and if your daughter hasnt been keeping much food down then she might have starvation keytones because she hasnt eaten... Non diabetics can get those too.

I wouldnt stress about it too much, if your worried check her a couple of times over the next few days and sheshuale a dr appntment :)

Im so sorry, its scary thinking another person in your family may have diabetes.

3. bandmkolb

I think a .8 is moderate. Yesterday she had no problems keeping food and drink down. She was back 100%. She woke up this morning and threw up once and had not had breakfast yet. I was not concerned about the 59 because I knew she hadn't been able to eat for a while that day. Anyway I wouldn't think you could get starvation ketones with just not having breakfast yet? I suppose its possible thought. Thanks.

4. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

You are probably seeing starvation ketones which, in a non-D person, are not a big deal. If your daughter had been showing the typical signs of D (thirst, increased urination, fruity breath, etc.), then you would need to have her seen by a doctor.

Starvation ketones go away when one is able to consume carbs. I would try to get her to sip something like Ginger Ale or flat cola when she is not feeling as nauseous. If the vomiting continues/worsens, she may become dehydrated.

Hope she feels better soon. I know a mom on FB whose D son has been vomiting off and on for over a week (she has taken him to the dr) and then her non-D son started vomiting. So, could be something going around.

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I can understand the impulse to check but I don't think it's a good idea and there's nothing in those numbers that can't be easily explained by her illness and lack of food.

Put the meter away and next time you see your D child's endo ask for a few moments to discuss your concerns about your other child. The rate of sib dx is lower than you might think.

6. momoftwingirls

momoftwingirls Approved members

This all new to me but I could understand as a mom for you to be worried. Just keep checking her to see a pattern and take her to her doctor on Monday and if you can't wait that long maybe call her dr and tell him what's going. Sorry for not been that helpful.

7. Bear

Bear Approved members

Nothing to worry about there - no need to freak out. I've tested myself at 52 before. It's when you get a 300 that you need to start worrying.

8. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

No need to worry, just starvation ketones from the sickness.

9. bandmkolb

Thank you all. I ended up calling her pediatrician and he wanted to see her. He checked for sugar in the urine and she had none. Said the ketones were from stress of the stomach bug and dehydration. I always thought that sugar in the urine was the same thing as ketones but was wrong about that. Just pushing Gatorade and water mixture now. Thanks again!

10. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

If you don't already have it, get a copy of Ragnar Hanas' "Managing Type 1..." It's a very good, simple and straight forward reference that will help clear up any confusion about ketones and everything D.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/typ...edn-ragnar-hanas/1103823579?ean=9781859593370

11. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

First, it's normal to see starvation ketones in anyone, diabetes or not, when there is an illness, particularly a stomach bug.

Second, no one here can truly answer your question except for a doctor. I would say, keep a sharp eye out, test fasting sugars and check her urine for sugar. If you find things don't improve, get to your doctor.

Oops, just saw your most recent post. Glad your doc did not brush you off and had you bring your child in, and glad everything is OK. I know how scary it can be thinking another child can be getting D, we just went through it ourselves (we have identical twin daughters, so for us it's a matter of wondering if that other shoe is going to drop).

So glad everything is OK!

12. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I don't think so, she is probably not eating much and that alone can cause ketones. I did the Atkins diet about 10 years ago and the goal was to have ketones :)