- advertisement -

Help..poodle skirt anyone?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Denise, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Denise

Denise Approved members

I need a skirt of this style (doesn't have to have poodle on it) in the next few weeks for my daughter for an thing they do in English. Anyone have any ideas? I do NOT sew!

2. Gwyn

Gwyn Approved members

A few months ago, my DD needed a poodle skirt for a dance. My Mom got two matching felt Christmas tree skirts with string ties and we tied them on her, overlapping the two circles sort of like a wrap skirt. I put an antique style pin on it to hold the two pieces together when she spun around and that was it. You could easily glue a felt poodle on it with craft glue if you wanted to.

This may sound cheesy, but no sewing required and it actually turned out nice and full and quite cute. Of course, I'm not sure where you can find Christmas tree skirts this time of year.........

3. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

My only suggestion would be to make one. I have made several before. Would be willing to make it for you if you think we can get the material and made and have it shipped in time.

4. Jensmami

Jensmami Approved members

Halloween/costume supply stores have them, at least when I ordered one for Jenny a couple of years ago, I will let you know if I still have it somewhere.

5. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

You may want to try ebay too.

6. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

Making a poodle skirt isn't as hard as you would think. We had a 50's day every year when I was in jr high, and one year all my friends and I made our own, it was quite simple (and I don't sew)

7. U of I Mom

U of I Mom Approved members

I made an easy one for a Halloween costume for my daughter. I bought some light blue felt, cut a small circle the size of my daughter's waist out of the middle, made a small slit in it, and then cut a large circle around it. We tried it on, and trimmed the bottom of it to the right length. She safety pinned the slit to fit her waist. Instead of a poodle, we cut a record and some musical notes out of felt and glued them on. She wore it with a white blouse, blue bobby socks, and white Keds , and put her hair in a pony tail. Cute!

8. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

What size? I have a lavendar one and a yellow one. I don't know if either still has the poodle on it, but I may still have the poodle too.

They are probably a 24" - 28" waist

9. Denise

Denise Approved members

hmm, my daughter is a 5'3 120lb 7th grader....would these skirts need the poofy stuff under? or are they ok w/o?

10. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I don't know if the waists would fit - when my sister and I wore them we were 5'1" and 100 pounds and they fit pretty snug.

They don't have the poofy under - they are a large piece of fabric, much like someone above mentioned - a Christmas tree skirt.

The skirts in the 50s were very flowing and these are!

11. pdxmom

pdxmom Approved members

I did the exact same thing for my daughter's sock hop....did it the night before, and voila, she looked perfect. Cheap and EASY for this mom that has absolutely no Martha Stewart genes in her :) The fabric store also had a poodle iron on, which worked perfectly!

Good luck.

12. TripleThreat

TripleThreat Approved members

I dont think you need a crenaline or as i used to call them a gremlin under a poodle skirt, if i remember they lay flat.