- advertisement -

Help please! Educating teachers about the pump!!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by polly, Jun 26, 2011.

1. polly

polly Approved members

Hey guys! My five-year-old transitioned from MDI to the Ping last week and so far, so good! He is returning to his preschool next week for camp, two mornings a week. He'll have the same teachers that became VERY aware of general diabetes care, treatment of hypos and highs, etc. Any recommendations for education/training to provide? They can't give insulin so I was planning on sending a light snack as I did with MDI - they have so much activity that his #s usually stay in range. Thanks for any suggestions!

2. bibrahim

bibrahim Approved members

I recommend giving them mini training session on the pump and what to watch for such as very high blood sugars may mean his site failed and needs changed. They need to understand that the pump is just an insulin delivery system but if it isn't giving insulin due to a bad site it will make him sick. It does not do everything like some people think it does.

It is great that you have them trained on the basic stuff but this is the main thing I would stress to them.

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I think since they aren't allowed to deliver insulin that I would show them just the following:

How to lock it in the event it became unlocked. Advise them to do this out of sight of your child so that at this early age they don't learn how to lock/unlock.

Give them a list of the alarms. If the pump was to alarm, they will need to know how to silence it (hit ok) and then they can write down what the alarm was and call you. Remind them if the alarm does go off it is imperative they call you. It could mean that your child isn't getting insulin for some reason.

I assume your child is already established at this school so they already are aware of high/low bg's and how to give glucagon in an emergency?

4. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

Hi Polly, do you mind revealing what state you live in? That can make a difference on the recommended training for teachers.

5. polly

polly Approved members

Yes, we live in Louisville, Kentucky. Our preschool is a private school and there is not a nurse. Noah was diagnosed after Christmas last year and spent the last five months doing MDI with the 2 teachers he will have at camp. His teachers are phenomenal and have had extensive training. My hope is that they won't have to give a bolus for the low-carb snack I will send. Any suggestions are appreciated! He is starting kindergarten in August at a public school that has a nurse so I am sure that will be a comp,eatery different experience. :)