- advertisement -

Help !!!!! Now

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Jace's Mommy, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Jace's Mommy

Jace's Mommy Approved members

Just did Jace's midnight check and got our first " HIGH GLUCOSE OVER 600" reading!
    I woke him up and he says he feels fine!
    DO I panic now ?
    What do I do?

2. slpmom2

slpmom2 Approved members

Did you clean his fingers and recheck? If not, do it before giving any correction. If you recheck on clean fingers (and making sure that the meter is coded correctly) and it still reads high, I'd check ketones, and give a correction shot. If he has ketones, give extra correction as per your endo's instructions. Get him to drink, and then check him in an hour to be sure he's on his way down. If he's not, it might be worth giving the on-call endo a call. Oh - and don't forget to keep breathing. In... out... in... out... He's going to be fine.

Good luck!

3. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

first, wash his hands, make sure the reading is right, check ketones, if ketones, call the endo.. if no ketones, go with 600 (if he reads the same again) and figure out his correction using your typical correction factor..have him drink water and check again in 2 hours. Don't panic, he'll be OK!

4. Jace's Mommy

We are still on the stupid sliding scale and I have no clue what the correction would be !
    I hate this, yes i wiped his finger and he is drinking water so I'll have him check ketones in a few minutes

5. Flutterby

If you don't have any correction factor or sliding scale for a correction, call the endo.. don't worry about waking them up, that is what they are there for... but before you do, recheck to make sure the number is accurate and check ketones (the endo will tell you to do both of these things, might as well do them before you call.;)).

Hope he comes down quickly!

6. slpmom2

slpmom2 Approved members

I was just going to say the same thing - call the endo if you don't know the correction. Doesn't matter how late it is - it's their job. But definitely check ketones first.

7. Jace's Mommy

No ketones !
    Just rechecked and he's 533
    Can adreneline spikes happen from dreams????

8. Jace's Mommy

Also he had his Lantus late tonight, at about 9:00

9. Flutterby

Could it be a miss calculated dinner bolus? I don't know about the adreneline spikes from dreams.. Call the endo and give them the 533 number.

10. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

Don't panic-bolus.

Give a correction and then wait until his active insulin period is up before you correct again. If I were a betting man, I'd say a 600+ followed relatively quickly by a 533 probably means he wasn't really over 600 to begin with since it's within the 20% "margin of error" for meters.

The good news is no ketones.

11. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

What did he have for dinner? Is the Novolog still good? What was the last reading you got before the midnight check?

12. Jace's Mommy

He did have some extra carbs with dinner! But I gave him an extra 1/2 unit along with what he gets on the sliding scale. He was still 380 at bed time

13. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I agree, this high wont affect him in the long run...What does your sliding scale say for this number?

14. wilf

wilf Approved members

Have you corrected?

What is the sliding scale?

What is his TDD? I might be able to give a check on the sliding scale..