- advertisement -

HELP! No insurance!

Discussion in 'Insurance Issues' started by climbn_mama, Apr 16, 2010.

1. climbn_mama

climbn_mama Approved members

I do not even know where to begin to voice my frustrations. I hope this doesnt get too long but I will start by explaining our situation. At the beginning of this year we (myself, son -9, daughter-4 who is also Type I, dog, and the cat) decided to travel with my husband and his job. This carries us from state to state and in general is alot of fun. However, we have no real "home", other than our fifth wheel travel. We are technically still residents of North Carolina, but we are currently using my parents address for mail, etc. And will probably set this up as our permanent home base. In NC the kids were covered under medicaid, my husband and i have no insurance. I know, I know....its awful...... So here in OK i find out u have to be a resident for a year to qualify for the high risk pool, and our income now exceeds the allowable income for medicaid. So I feel like we are between a rock and a hard place. We can get coverage for ourselves with an individual plan. But NOONE will touch my daughter because of her preexisting condition.

I would love to hear any advice, stories, resources, anything you guys may have!
    Thanks in advance!

2. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I don't know if its much help, but I believe the legislation passed says within 6 months of its passage, kids have to be covered with pre-existing conditions. so, that's 5 months from now.

Can you "retain" your NC coverage for another 5 months until that part of the legislation is in place, and then change over to OK?

3. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

How about checking for the high risk pool in NC if you're still a resident there? Might be an avenue.

4. jen0331

jen0331 Approved members

Insurance wise, I'm not sure what can be done. But, you may qualify for the Patient Assistance Programs available through her insulin company, only thing is, they usually send a three month supply of insulin to the doctor's office for you to pick up. Test strips, Abbott I believe offers something that helps with copays. Pump supplies, I know Animas offer 50% off if you qualify, without insurance as cash pay, you should automatically get like 20%-30% off. Do a search online for free clinics in the area your in, some states have 'em.

Your husband a Nuke worker by any chance? I have a lot of fam that are in the business, so just curious.