- advertisement -

Help!!!! New pumping to cozmo

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by tuckerk, Jul 9, 2008.

1. tuckerk

tuckerk Approved members

Yes she said change the I:C to 1:40. I thought that that sounded odd. This morning I adjusted the the breakfast I:C myself and we saw much better numbers at the 2 hour check, however, I still think it is a bit off because she was 80s for lunch.

I talked to the head insulin pump nurse today and her thoughts were that Caitlin was not getting enough insulin(basal), but did not change that after she saw the low number, which is not really low at the lunch check.

Praying that all goes well this weekend.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I can tell from your last post that you are getting the hang of this ;) It's like being dx'd all over again:( But only for the first bit of time!
    Sounds like you are doing great! Hope it's a happy weekend,:cwds:

3. tuckerk

tuckerk Approved members

Thanks for your vote of confidence and support. Did a site change and there was a dramatic improvement with her BS. Its seeming to get better, but still a little cloudy on a few issues:

1. When she is below target and it is meal time, do u use the meal or correction bolus menu to deliver insulin? We have the HypoManager enabled.

2. How to cover snacks at daycare, still trying to train the director on how to use the pump. Would it possible to use the extended bolus. Mainly b/c I work about 10-15 minutes from the center ands sometimes they give the snack before I get there.

4. Twinklet

Twinklet Approved members

The hypo manager is tricky to use. We do use it and have it set at 70, but you have to still look at the IOB; sometimes the amount of carbs it suggests is way too much. It would be helpful for you to determine how much one gram of carb will increase your child's blood glucose.

The extended bolus spreads the insulin out over a certain amount of time. I'm not sure how that would help at daycare. :confused: Bolusing for a meal is super easy with the Cozmo, I'm sure they can learn how to do that in seconds.

5. tuckerk

tuckerk Approved members

Just asking for options until they are comfortable with the pump. Asking about the extended bolus for that very reason(spreading insulin for a certain amount of time). Snack is usually about 2 or so hours after lunch and usually less than 15 grams of CHO. Want to make sure there is some coverage in the event they give the snack before her dad or I get there.

6. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

An extended bolus wouldn't help. It isn't like a delayed bolus. You can't say bolus x amount 2 hours from now. The extended bolus delivers a specific amount of insulin over a period of time. So you are getting a constant small dose of the total bolus for the entire time period. So if you do an extended bolus for snack at noon and she gets snack at 2 pm then she'll end up getting insulin delivered for that entire two hours and will likely go low before she ever gets to snack time.

7. skimom

skimom Approved members

I would not use the extended bolus for reasons stated by Mama Belle.Learning how to deliver a bolus is not rocket science with the cozmo so the childcare should be able to get it - just be sure that only one person is responsible for doing insulin and be sure they know how to read the history as well just in case ..(wouldn't want two people giving her insulin for snack- sorry I'm a little paranoid)
    I would be looking at basal and total bolus which should be about 50-50. How are numbers holding through the night (is bedtime and morning about the same? are you testing in the middle of the night?- )
    As far as insertion sets, we have good luck with Cleo here depending on the site used (my son will only use on his stomach, daughter will only use on stomach and one bum cheek -)We have also had great luck with the inset . If numbers are wacky and especially if I can get numbers down with an injection, the site is changed.

My last comment is to get a lab meter comparison done on the cozmonitor(you should regularly test all your meters ). We have had to send a few back as they were too far off - in fact when my daughter got her new pump and cozmonitor last year, we got the cozmonitor tested the first day of pumping and it was out by over 100%!