- advertisement -

Help! My husband ran over my daughter's PDM

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by onetofourmom, Feb 12, 2014.

1. onetofourmom

onetofourmom New Member

My DH went with our daughter to pick up our other child. Somehow her PDM fell out of the car, by the time they realized it, the PDM had been run over in the parking lot and smashed and will not turn on and the screen is broken.

What do you do in this situation? Do you have to pay the full price -- which I think is like $4000! Does homeowner's insurance cover it? She's only been on it for nine months, which means our health insurance wouldn't pay for a new one for another 3+ years. My husband just got laid off from his job, so we can't really afford to replace this. I just don't have the heart tell my daughter that she has to go back on MDI because we can't afford to purchase her a new PDM. :(

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

What pump are you using? A $4K PDM? I don't think so.

Given that with a Ping you can bolus off the pump, you must be talking about the pod - if so, I think it's more like $400 and I bet they have a "special" or would, once they've heard your story, cut you some sort of a break. Never forget that they have a vested interested in your continued purchase of Pods. '-)

Good luck.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  3. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

I had asked about buying a spare because we had two kids on pods and I figured it was a matter of time before we lost one. They quoted me $500.

4. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

give them a call. My daughter lost hers a few years ago. I think, it was a few years ago so I'm not 100% sure, they gave us a one time replacement discount and I want to say the cost was $199.

FYI - We lost her Dexcom transmitter and they also gave us a one time replacement discount.

5. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I have called and asked within the last 6 months and a 1 time replacement PDM was $200 and a spare was $500.

6. onetofourmom

onetofourmom New Member

Thanks for all our your replies! You made me feel so much better. The $4000 price I quoted was just what they billed my insurance for the initial cost of the PDM, so I wasn't sure. But they quoted $500, but we called back an mentioned the one time replacement fee of $200 and they said while that wasn't "universally available," whatever that means, they would give us that price. Yay! THanks for the info! IT really was valuable! :) Daughter is now back on the pump and is happy and so are we!