- advertisement -

Help me!!!

Discussion in 'School and Daycare' started by Ben'sMommy, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Ben'sMommy

Ben'sMommy Approved members

Hi all,

I want to put Ben into daycare for 2 or 3 mornings a week (9am - 12pm approx).
    I need to get him used to mixing with kids of his own age and I want him to have fun.
    I also need a break!
    I'm so scared though. I keep putting it off. I just can't bring myself to make the call.
    I am terrified of putting his life in a strangers hands and I can't get over the fact that I won't be there to notice if he gets pale or clingy etc etc. How will a daycare worker be able to give him the attention he needs to prevent highs and lows????
    I've never been away from him for long and I am having a really hard time letting go.
    But I know school is coming up in a few years and I'll have no choice then.

Nobody else understands why I'm so posessive of Ben but I know that here is a place where people will understand me.
    I don't know what will make me relax more but any advice or words of wisdom would be much appreciated.
    I know that I'm not irrational and that my fears are absolutley justified but I need to take a step back because I don't want to stifle Ben.

Please help me to get over this fear...

Ben is 2 and a half now and will be dx'd 2 years in August.

Thanks,

Carol.

2. Meadow

Meadow Approved members

I know it is scary...

When Parker was first diagnosed (18months...he is now 2 1/2 years old) he was already going to daycare.

Since I had to go to work, Parker had to go back there.

I think you really have to find a daycare centre/provider who is willing to learn about diabetes, as well as be aware of highs and lows.

At first I was very worried about him all the time. There were lots of phone calls and visits to the daycare at first to help with things and answer questions. Over time however the ladies at his daycare, and one lady in particular really took the time to bond with Parker and got to know all the little signs to look for in him if he was going in to a low, how to get him to eat and even how to deal with the behaviour when he was dealing with a high. She really is my angel.

We are now looking at having Parker start on a pump. Next Thursday the whole daycare is having a training night with the pump rep. I am sure once Parker is on the pump it will means more time at daycare for me, as well as fielding lots of questions...just like when he was first diagnosed.

So, my suggestion to you is to find someone who you can trust, and communicate well with. The road will not always be easy, but if everyone works together as a team, hopefully eventually you will be able to have a much deserved and needed break.

Sending prayers that you will be given an angel to take care of Ben.

3. Ben'sMommy

Ben'sMommy Approved members

Thank you Meadow.
    That is really sweet.