- advertisement -

Help me word an e-mail to dd's teacher

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by acjsmom, Aug 21, 2011.

1. acjsmom

acjsmom Approved members

Hi, all. I need a little help. DD has started at a new school this year. She is in the second grade at a school with a full-time nurse this year. After proving that she can indeed check herself, they have decided to allow her to check herself in the classroom. I told the teacher that if she was less than 100 to allow her to have a snack.

A little bit of a background, dd's grade is not eating lunch until 12:20 every day. :eek: We are in process of moving, so we are driving the children to school 30 minutes away. This means they get up at 6 a.m., eat breakfast at home and then go to school. The school serves breakfast to all kids in the classroom. In the past, dd would not eat the breakfast so that we could control her blood sugar better. (At her old school, she ate lunch at 11 a.m. or so.) After reading advice on here, I thought we would allow her to eat the breakfast if she wants. The first day she ate the breakfast and went low about an hour before lunch. The next two days, she didn't eat the breakfast because she didn't want it.

She checks her blood sugar about two hours or so after breakfast (the one at home).

On Friday, she told me her teacher fussed at her because when she checked herself at 9 a.m., she went ahead and ate a snack without the teacher telling her. I asked her what her number was, and she said 110. I told her that she made the right choice, but her teacher was also going on what I told her.

Somehow, I need to word a note to the teacher that dd was right. I thought about giving her a range that if she is within x range at 9, then allow her to have something, etc. I want to do it without sounding like I am upset with her. I'm not, but I want her to understand that dd knows more than she thinks.

BTW, I am going to contact her endo.'s office tomorrow because I think some basals need to be tweaked.

Thanks!

2. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

Start by thanking the teacher for following the guidelines that you had set, but also let the teacher know that you trust your daughters judgement, and even if the number is "not in range" your daughter may be feeling as if she is dropping and needs a snack.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I'd probably say something like, "due to the variability that always comes with adapting to a new schedule I'm adding in the caveat that the 100 for snack is a ballpark but should dd feel that she need a snack her internal assessment of her body supersedes the ballpark."

I think in a follow-up conversation it wouldn't hurt to stress that while we much come up with guideline to help others help our kids we never have a complete picture of what is going on and the child lives with diabetes 24/7 and that their read of the situation should carry as much weight as the "objective" data. ;) Good luck!

4. acjsmom

acjsmom Approved members

Thanks for the suggestions! Like I said, I am not upset with the teacher at all, because she did just as I said. The thing I had not thought about was the time from her morning check to lunch. It is so long compared to what it was. Her teacher is being so willing to work with us, but she seems to be a "by the book" type of person. And, we all know that diabetes is anything but by the book. I think in the e-mail, too, I am going to give her a frame of reference for the mornings, like if she is below 150 or so at the 9 a.m. check and she thinks she needs a snack, to go ahead and let her have it. If it's an hour or so before lunch and she is around 150 then she may be okay.

I told dd that she was right, but so was her teacher. I told her that her teacher was going by what I told her, but she was right to go ahead and eat a snack. I told her that this is a learning process for all of us and we will be okay.