- advertisement -

Help me think it through?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by samheis, Oct 27, 2010.

1. samheis

samheis Approved members

Sam gets 5.5 lantus at breakfast, 5.5 at dinner.
    Novolog to cover food-breakfast 1:35, lunch 1:50, dinner 1:35.
    He had the flu last week, numbers have been wonky since.

So here's the pattern. Lows during the day-well, blood sugars under 80 not long after snacks/lunch, whatever-really good numbers basically.
    But he's waking up in the 200's. Night checks aren't showing lows. Normally I would increase the lantus BUT these low numbers during the day have me nervous.

What adjustment would you be inclined to make YDMV :cwds:

2. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

How long after eating are the lowish numbers? If you think it's basal and not bolus, what about increasing the night Lantus and decreasing the morning Lantus?

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Could be a post-illness absorption issue. That could explain the lows during the day when he's eating.

4. samheis

samheis Approved members

So funny you said that. They've had us do equal split dose since d'x, but lately I've been wondering if Night should be higher and morning lower. Something I plan on talking about at the endo in december.

The last week, he's coming in at lunch under 100-that's 2.5 hours after an uncovered 20 carbs. Then after school, just 2 hours after his uncovered 30 carbs, he's been having lows. So in the afternoons, I've been having to give him about twice as much uncovered snacks before dinner. So a lot of uncovered carbs going on here-it's weird.

5. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

That does sound like basal with the uncovered carbs still not holding him up. But like Sarah mentioned, it could also be from the illness. I would still lower the basal in the morning, but don't be surprised if you have to adjust again if he's just having absorption issues right now.

6. samheis

samheis Approved members

you guys are right. it's been a while since he's been sick, i forgot how long it could screw things up. I think I need to review how to do a basal test as well. See where we stand.

thank you :D