- advertisement -

Help me plan D care for Parade please

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by BCmom, Jul 30, 2010.

1. BCmom

BCmom Approved members

I am so brain dead after all the insulin changes since coming here that I can't think and need help.

Tomorrow Em is marching and playing violin in a parade from 11:00 AM to about 12:30 PM. She will have breakfast and her insulin (NPH and HUmulog) at 8:00am. The humulog will peak about 1:00 am right?

So should I giver her a snack and if so how much and when? I am worried she could go low or even high.

So what do we do?

2. angiej

angiej Approved members

How about testing her just before the start of the parade and seeing where she is at, and responding to that? She will probably need an extra snack to account for the marching, but it might be helpful to know whether to give it to her as the march starts or to have on her to have, say half way through.

3. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

I'm not sure when it will peak. It's been a long time since Alex was on nph. When she takes it on normal days, how long after the shot does she have a snack and then when is a meal? Are those usually covered or not? I think that makes a big dif here.

Other than that, make sure she tests and carries some sugar source on her. When my son was in marching band, the band moms always had candy on them and someone would carry his (and the other D's) meters for them. Will someone be willing to do that?

4. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

I would give an uncovered snack before the parade, after testing BG. AND make sure she has some gluc tabs on her in the event she feels a low coming on, or smarties or skittles ... Have fun!! You must be very proud!