- advertisement -

help me make decision

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by lhazc, Dec 1, 2013.

1. lhazc

lhazc Approved members

I am swimming in a sea of uncertainty, our Medtronic pump warranty is out and we have option to change, we have used Medtronic for several years, no big issues but was not impressed with the CGM which was main reason we chose it, now they say the new sensors are way better... but not sure about that from what I read here still have issue with accuracy, so we are looking at the dex and really liking what I read here about it, so now what pump? the t slim looks nice, does it have a meter that uploads to pump? I like the ultra link feature the the MM meter has, the ping looks good also. a bit afraid of the pods due to the recent issues and reports of bad CS which would be an issue for me, please help me decide. For those using dex what pump system are you using?

2. Daniel's Mom 1993

Daniel's Mom 1993 Approved members

We have only used Omnipod and medtronics but I can say for Daniel it would make a difference, he would not take the time to enter the number - he would consider that too much trouble, if your child is younger and you would be doing then it probably would not be a big deal.

3. Wren

Wren Approved members

We chose omnipod over tslim in part because of the integrated meter on the omnipod. I suspect my DD would bolus without testing if the meter weren't integrated, and both DH and I rely on having a full record as we trade off D care.

I wouldn't exclude omnipod because of CS complaints. There were long wait times with the transition to the new pods, but those are better. I've never had a bad CS experience. When you have a pod fail or just a bad site, omnipod will generally replace the pod. Unlike sets for tubed pumps, pods and the insulin in them are expensive. So, podders have more CS calls than tubed pumpers. Some of those are bound to be "bad". If tubed pumpers called I every bad set, you'd read more about those calls.

That said, we had a lot of issues during the first 6 weeks on the pod, and if you're happy with a tubed pump and can keep using the sets you're used to, I wouldn't recommend signing up to learn something new.

4. lmf1122

lmf1122 Approved members

DD recently switched to t:slim after using the Animas Ping for over 4 years. The main reason we went with t:slim was for the larger reservoir, as DD is 11 and approaching puberty. We are both really happy with the decision.

It does not have a linked meter, but does come with a Verio IQ. The t:slim is a touch screen pump, so it's easy to enter BG and carb info into pump, much better than having to scroll up like with the Ping IMO.

5. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

My son uses the OmniPod and the Dexcom. My daughter uses the T:Slim with hers, and she's used a Medtronic pump in the past. Out of all the pumps, only the Medtronic had a meter that connected but we never used it. I don't think we even took it out of the box. I always prefered the smaller, simpler meters and I'd rather carry around a smaller one and key in numbers than use the fancier ones.

DS does have an integrated meter, but it's part of the PDM and he has to carry it around anyways. DD carries a Freestyle meter in her pack. The meter they give you isn't a Freestyle meter so even it if links someday, we wouldn't use it. We used One Touch for years but never want to go back now that we've fallen in love with Freestyle :)

Mine don't think much about it - we use the CGM number for meals and corrections (no need for anyone to point out to me that this isn't the recommended use - we know it and are perfectly content with our approach ;) ) so they are scrolling to a number (DS with OmniPod's PDM) or tapping it in (DD with T:Slim meter) regardless. Integration has been a non-issue for us. Every kid is different, however, so this could be a concern for you. Just not something we are concerned with.

And, for the record, we LOVE the T:Slim. Love, love, love it. DS likes the OmniPod enough but would happily switch if another tubeless pump came out. The failures are frustrating - he's had 4 pod changes in the last three days, and none were because of pod expiration - but he prefers tubeless to great service so we just work through it.

6. Mish

Mish Approved members

You're pretty much exactly where I am right now. We're near the end of our MM warranty. We don't use the integrated meter, so it's not an issue for us, but as for the rest, this has been my thought process:

I won't bother trying the new MM sensors as we have great luck with the G4 and there's just no way I want to go back to near silent alarms, false lows, and the rest of the mess. My son doesn't even mind that it's not integrated into the pump anymore, which was his primary reason early on for mm/cgm combo. The benefits of a good CGM outweigh any inconvenience of having two devices. Plus, it's so much more convenient for me to be able to hear and respond to alarms at night, without disturbing him. I sleep better, he sleeps better.

I won't bother with Animas because the 200u reservoir will just be a problem. With him using over 50u a day now, at the beginning of puberty, I just know that a small reservoir will be a royal PITA. Also, I've never been a fan of the fact that you have to actually put in the suggested bolus amount, manually. I find that to be one more step where an error could happen for my child, a child that does everythign too fast with his pump. ;)

Liked the t-slim, unfortunately, he has some vision issues and the font size/ text contrast and colors just don't work for him. So that's out. But otherwise, I'm pretty sure we would have gone with that.

Pods, he's never been a fan, but I did look at a sample of the new ones and I can't believe how small they are. Unfortunately, I also would have a hard time fully trusting that their CS & production issues are behind them.

There are some others - the accu-chek sprint is fairly nice, and does integrate with their meter. Not many use it right now, but it's a well respected company, so I think it will be fine, long term.

so, that leaves us with MM. And hopefully we're able to continue to get a Revel and not the new system, because I just have no desire to go back to that CGM.

7. GChick

GChick Approved members

I am the very last person to help you decide anything as I have not used a pump yet (but will be by January!)

However, because I myself have just decided that I finally "want" a pump, I have recently been up to my own research, so that may help? Please see below what my very basic research revealed on the three (4 if you count the omnipod) pumps I considered (note: I never actually saw any pumps myself other than pictures, so I'm going in a little blind)

Asante Snap: Basic Pump. Small size. Personally it looked to be an awkward shape though, which I didn't like... that may not matter to some though. VERY easy (and takes the least amount of time) pump priming, cartridge changing etc. I personally also did not like the look of the screen (from pictures... so may be wrong on that one.) No linked meter. Very cheap upfront cost... more expensive over time. Appeared to be "less" water resistant than the others, but water resistant none-the-less. Batteries are integrated into the cartridge, so when you change a cartridge, you are therefore changing the batteries without having to do anything extra.

MiniMed: Don't recall the name of the specific one, but the CGM or whatever now comes with "insulin suspend" when sugars are low... which may be convenient in the night or when he is not with you (at school, a sleep over or whatever). Long standing company, so there isn't much chance of them going belly-up in a few years. Has link to meter. Expensive upfront cost... less expensive over time (depending on insurance coverage). Very water resistant. Batteries need to be changed every few weeks

t:slim: Sexiest pump of the bunch. But the touch screen really did appeal to me for more than the "looks" factor. Just easier to enter numbers with a touch screen. Easier to duplicate and make minor changes to different profiles. LONGEST time wasted for cartridge changes etc. "Appears" to be the least time wasted for day to day use though due to touch screen (which I could be wrong on). Does not have link to meter (though a meter does come with the pump), but entering numbers should be quick due to touch pad. Numerous "are you sure" screens which I understand can be a pain (I "feel" like once I understand where they are, I'll be able to click through them quick enough though?). Expensive upfront cost... less expensive over time (depending on insurance coverage). Very water resistant. Rechargeable battery... problem for some, blessing for others.

Omnipod: (note: I did very little research on this one as I had little interest in it) No tubes (nice). Very convenient if you are handling most/all of your childs diabetes care due to the PDM not being attached to body. No tubes (not nice)... cannot completely disconnect while leaving the "set" in... so cannot be "sans pump" for an hour or so if need be without removing the whole thing. Gets knocked about a bit depending on where placed... but tubes get tied up in things too with other pumps, so that's a personal preference. Integrated meter. Lots of problems with failed pods (which may have been fixed by now). Very cheap upfront cost... more expensive over time. Very water proof. Unsure of battery situation for this one.

Possibly very clear that I chose the t:slim. But all had their advantages. Pick one that works for you and go with it.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  8. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

For us it will be a no brainer: T:slim.

MM just hasn't offered anything remotely appealing in the last few years, beyond the 300u capacity of the 723. We disliked their CGM so use the G4 and have never been an integrated meter fan so the T:Slim wins for offering many of the aspects we liked in our old Cozmo, a 300u cartridge, the "cool factor" and the fact that it isn't MM :rolleyes:

Good luck!

9. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I use the Medtronic pump with the dexcom. I tried the enlites and did not have the most wonderful experience. I plan to stick with the dex for the foreseeable future.

I just want to suggest that you get a new tubed pump through insurance and pay OOP for the omnipod PDM if you want to try the pods. Insulet seems to always have offers where you get the PDM for $200 and then you can just put the pods through your insurance. That way you don't "waste" having insurance pay for the cheap PDM. To be totally honest though, I have had a pretty awful experience with the new pods (we are talking an 80% failure rate-- and failures at the worst possible times) which is probably why I just can't see not having a more reliable tubed pump for backup. But maybe that is just me....

ETA: I would seriously consider the importance of a 300 unit reservoir since both of your kids will probably begin puberty before their new pump warranties are up. At one point during puberty I was using close to 100 units a day (up from 20-30 before puberty). The Animas pump just wouldn't have worked for that for me at least.

10. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We have the Ping and are satisfied with it. Not thrilled, just satisfied. The number one pro for us is the remote. The number one con is the fact that it only holds 200u and it's not a true 200u, the most you can get in on average is about 185, though last night I somehow managed to get in 190.

I find that with a 12 year old who is growing like a weed and eating us out of house and home that I am chaining the cartridge out every 1.5-2 days. I have to take into consideration if she will have enough to get her through the school day etc.

When our warranty is up we will probably lean towards the T-Slim, as that's the one my daughter is itching to get her hands on (a friend has it).

11. lhazc

lhazc Approved members

some very good input and points to think about, I just updated by sig, (sorry) both boys are using more insulin so ping might be an issue with the 200u, will give t slim a harder look, like the buy the pod thinking and I agree that is the way to go, let insurance cover tube pump, try pod out of pocket , makes sense. thanks