- advertisement -

Help me figure this out please

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mom2kenny, Sep 18, 2008.

1. mom2kenny

mom2kenny Approved members

Kenny takes 36 units(dropped last wk from 39)9pm. can you look at his #s to see what is happening?
    The last 2 days #s:
    wed. 9pm bs 145, 36u lantus
    12:30am bs 60(treated 2 times to get a steady 145)
    Thurs. 6am bs 131 breakfast 25g 1:12(up from 1:7)pretty steady between 12:30-6am
    gym at 10:15 bs 135
    11am lunch bs 128 (upped his I:C ratio to cover gym from 1:7 -1:10 as he will see a drop 5-7 hrs latrer)
    3:15 bs 97
    5:00pm bs 51 juice and supper (upped I:C ratio to 1:12 from 1:8)
    9pm bs 95
    It has been every night this wk and last12:00to 1 am,evening between 5-6that he goes low. Do you think I need to adjust the lantus down more, or work on the I:C ratios?

2. cassie

cassie Approved members

For my daughter I would probably take the lantus down but 1/2-1 unit and lower the lunch and dinner short acting insulin.

Does he get snacks regularly? Megan has to eat a snack in between each meal and then again after dinner, before bed.

We don't pump and she's a bit younger so what I would do is probably way wrong for you. :cwds:

3. wilf

wilf Approved members

Your highest number in the last 24 hours has been 145, the average must be closer to 110.. This is actually great, except that the lowest reading came at 12:30 am. So in my view that's all you need to focus on.

He is likely experiencing lows at 12-1am from the Lantus (given at 9 pm)peaking. Normally the peak is 4-6 hours out, but if your son is very active then it could be making him more insulin sensitive and moving up the timing of the peak.

I would move the time of giving the Lantus earlier (to just after supper at say 7 pm). Then you'll see the peak at around 10-11 pm, and can use it to cover a bedtime snack.. :)

4. Lee

Lee Approved members

I would second what WILF said - it does look like the Lantus is peaking, so if you moved it forward a little - say to supper time - the peak could correlate with the food peaking and it wouldn't be that dramatic.

As for the afternoon one, I would say that just needs the prior IC ratio tweaked?

Once you move it to supper, you may need to minutely adjust the IC ratio to cover the peak. Also, I would suggest just trying it out a couple of days, and doing the night checks to see if he is going up or down. If he is staying steady after not going into the night low, then you will know that it was the peak - if he keeps dropping down through the night, then you know that he needs less Lantus.

So, I say, you will have your question answered in 2 days time...to bad that we just can't ask the Magic 8 ball!

5. mom2kenny

mom2kenny Approved members

Thank you, i will move his lantus up tonight. He is very active! I just never know when that drop from exercise is going to hit! I have seen him drop 1,2,3,4,5 hrs later. That is definitely one of our challenges.

6. wilf

wilf Approved members

At least if the Lantus is moved up you won't have Lantus-related BG drops getting mixed up with those from the exercise.. ;)

Anyhow, let us know how it works out.

7. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I agree with moving the Lantus to dinner time, that's when we give it. Make sure your giving it in the bootie to help keep it stable. On nights when he's had lots of exercise, you might think about a 15 gram snack, something with fat like a go gurt or a scoop of ice cream. If he goes low again, I would lower it again. Have you noticed a peak in ghte past? If not, I would lower it now. I hate night time lows and you can always raise it back up...JMO:cwds:

What is his age and weight?