- advertisement -

Help in VA?

Discussion in 'Insurance Issues' started by megk23, Mar 1, 2013.

1. megk23

megk23 Approved members

My son was diagnosed T1D last weekend. We went and got his meds (Humalog and Lantis), test strips, lancets, Ketone strips, Glucagon pen and the total was $200. With insurance.

Does anyone know if there's any type of assistance in Virginia for children with chronic medical conditions? I tried calling the Health Department and they hadn't heard of anything.
    Thanks!

2. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

You may try asking your Endo's office. They may be able to point you in the right direction.

3. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

For the test strips, most offer discount cards that help cover your copay. Try a search for the brand of strip & you'll probably find one. We use any & all discount cards we can find & qualify for.

Glucagon is a once a year Rx for most. I always check the expiration date before paying. If it's not at least a year out, I request a fresher one.

Lancets are actually cheaper for us to buy online & pay cash. If you're using the urine ketone sticks, they may be cheaper at Walmart than at a pharmacy.

4. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

It may be cheaper to get a three month supply of the test strips and insulin from a mail order supply place. My son hardly ever changes his lancet, so he never orders these any more. Ketone strips are not used very often, nor the glucagon pen.

Your supplies are going to be the test strips and insulin pens -- so it won't be $200 every month.

5. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

It seems that many insurance companies have a mail order option for medications. The way it often works is that you get a 3 month supply for only 2 months worth of copay! That is a savings! Also, if you find yourself going through more test strips than your insurance authorizes, you can have your Dr.'s office mail in a letter authorizing an increase. Also, keep in mind that you can appeal refusals to cover diabetes related equipment like a pump, CGM etc. This is so new to you, but I strongly encourage you to practice being a squeaky wheel when it comes to being the best advocate for your child! One tip...we get our one touch test strips from Solara Medical http://www.solaramedicalsupplies.com/. It's $15 for a month's supply which is far better than the $40 copay for a month and a savings on the $80 copay for 3 months!

6. megk23

megk23 Approved members

Thanks all! I did talk with our case manager with our insurance who told me about the mail in savings (2 mos copay for 3 mos supply).

If he has a One Touch meter, where would I look for a discount card? The One Touch page?

7. Turtle1605

Turtle1605 Approved members

I would call One Touch. Sometimes pharmacies will have them, too.

8. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Check out Solara Medical http://www.solaramedicalsupplies.com/

We pay $15/month for 300 one touch test strips! They seem to work with your insurance, but give a better price than we can get with the 2 co-pays for 3 months! Another tip: make sure your doctor writes a letter of medical necessity for more if your insurance will only cover 200 test strips! We average around 9 tests a day on a good day...so it's always wonderful to have as many any you can get authorized!