- advertisement -

Help! I need fundraising ideas.

Discussion in 'Fundraising Activities' started by Sherry Wendi's Mom, Oct 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sooz

sooz Approved members

No lol, I put the sic in there so you would know it wasn't my typo...I agree that the thread should not have been moved.

2. sooz

sooz Approved members

Just for the record, I would love to have a DAD, I am just responding to the horrible facts they are putting out there. :mad:

3. swellman

swellman Approved members

A DAD or a DAD that works?

Personally, I would love, more than anything, to have a dog that worked better than my Dexcom. I mean that seriously because my son has a habit of ignoring his alarms. If I thought, for a second, that I could get a dog that would alert my son that he was going low I would would spend a considerable amount of cash on the animal.

I am very seriously skeptical that an animal can perform better than my Dexcom.

If anyone with a DAD is in the Charlotte, NC area and would be willing to subject a DAD to a semi-scientific test then PM me because I would be willing to spend the time to see what we can see.

4. sooz

sooz Approved members

I don't think a DAD can work better than a Dexcom, but a Dexcom can't wag its tail. I guess I'm a dog person and would love to have a loving dog that would also help my granddaughter. For the record I would love to have a Dexcom also. :p

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Oh! Well, that's slightly better, then. :p

I sent them a message too. I told them that their rude reply to another poster on this board had been posted, and that they were getting some pretty bad PR over here. I'll post if they respond.

6. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Will be interesting to see if they do. I haven't had anything yet.

7. caspi

caspi Approved members

Perhaps because CWD is listed under the "links" section on the Pawsibilities website??? :rolleyes:

8. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

I am not sure why Jeff moved this thread; I just know that he is the one who did it. This did not start out as a thread about DADs; it was about how to raise funds.

CWD has no affiliation with ANY DAD provider.

9. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

But it was moved well after the thread became less about fundraising and more about the way that the company was portraying Type 1 diabetes to raise money for itself.

And again, if this was moved because it was not in the right section, then why not move all the other threads that belong in different sections?

Not trying to make a big deal about this, but just trying to understand why it was moved. It seems unusual.

Almost like it was being intentionally buried. I am not saying it was, just that it appears that way.

10. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I would say this is getting plenty of attention where it is located.

11. Christopher

Only by a few people who are invested in the thread. I still think it should be left where it was.

12. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

Two things: Maybe some things are not moved because they actually fall into more than one category.

Secondly: Jeff was travelling to the UK for the CWD Conference and looked at this after several posts.

Maybe it's me, but I don't see why this is such a big deal. PM me if you'd like, but this is far from the subject the OP asked about! Let's just leave this thread alone and let her get the information she seeks: advice on fundraising.

13. hawkeyegirl

LOL. Like this thread? Started by the parent of a type one? About a teen?

Look, it's pretty clear that Jeff was intending to bury it. The moderators on this board generally make NO effort to make sure that threads go in the "right" place, and everyone knows that hardly anyone reads anything but Parents, OT, and CGM. I suspect he buried it because it had the potential to become a hot topic. I think it's too bad, as DAD threads appear on the board on a regular basis, and it seems important that people are aware what kind of folks they are dealing with at these organizations. That's why this is a "big deal."

Furthermore, hardly any threads of any length stay on a direct path determined by the OP. They twist and devolve, and very often that's where the learning occurs. It's kind of silly to suggest that we all go back to giving the OP fundraising suggestions and ignore the fact that the organization she's fundraising for has some pretty questionable practices.

14. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Perhaps someone ought to start another thread on the issue of erroneous information on this business' website and put it in the parents section.

It isn't that hard to do and might have the results you want in bringing attention to the issue.

15. hawkeyegirl

Clearly the moderators wanted this buried. I have little doubt that any thread started on the same topic would end up locked, moved, or "disappeared."

Really, I don't see what the problem is with discussing it in this thread. It wouldn't be the first thread to veer slightly off course. (Indeed, it's barely off course at all.) You seem very bothered by this though. What's that about?

16. Christopher

I guess it is just so rare that a thread gets moved like this, and that it would be done after only looking at "a few posts". The whole thing seems odd to me.

We discovered some disturbing practices by this company. And an even more disturbing response by them. I am interested in how this whole thing plays out and I think other people are too. Look how many views this thread has. Over 1,600!

I also think it is important that when someone is going to spend 10-20 thousand dollars on something, they get as much information about the company they will be doing business with as possible.

I agree that the thread went in a direction that was not what the OP initially asked about. But does that mean that it should just be "left alone"? Especially when something disturbing has been uncovered? I don't think so.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  17. swellman

swellman Approved members

I have to agree although I really don't care that it was moved.

18. AlexsDad

AlexsDad Approved members

DAD's cost that much?!? Interesting that this "company" has 501(c)(3) status as a charitable organization (though their response was less than charitable!).

Whether this thread is about fundraising for a DAD from this organization or this organization's methods, the one thing that it is not is a thread debating the pro's and con's of DAD's.

19. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

I moved this thread from the regular parents to the fundraising area because I thought the original poster was seeking advice on fundraising. Simple as that. No other motive.

This thread has run its course. Closing it - because it's long gone off topic.

The issue of diabetes alert dogs is completely separate. I still await a study showing that they work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.