- advertisement -

Help! I need fundraising ideas.

Discussion in 'Fundraising Activities' started by Sherry Wendi's Mom, Oct 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

To the OP - you might want to edit the name of the organization in the first post if this thread. ("Unlimited" vs "Unleashed").

I tend to agree with Chris that their literature is heavy on scare tactics (amputation, blindness) or perhaps just inaccurate info.

If you can swing getting the DAD, bravo and I wish you well. You've gotten some good advice on ways of raising funds. Personally I am leery of the DAD organizations. Certainly not all of them have poor track records regarding honesty and fair dealings with their customers, but this one is on my radar because of the tone of their literature.

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I don't know how you could read the material quoted earlier in the thread and say that they're not using scare tactics. It's pretty horrifying and full of flat-out misrepresentations. This would make me seriously question the entire organization. If they're willing to lie about the facts and figures of Type 1 in order to raise money, what else are they willing to lie about?

3. ShanaB

ShanaB Approved members

I think this is the most disgusting piece about type 1 diabetes I've ever read.

I'm certainly not judging the OP for wanting a DAD or fundraising to get one. However, as a parent of a child with diabetes I would demand they change that text before engaging with their organization. Disgusting.

4. AlexsDad

AlexsDad Approved members

If you think the text is bad, check it out with the two hospital pictures under the text, particularly the one of the bed-ridden girl who looks about my son's age:

http://www.pawsibilitiesunleashed.org/home/donations

To my mind, this company is seeking to exploit the fears of parents and other family members, which I find reprehensible.

5. sooz

sooz Approved members

I sent them an email and asked that they take down that part of their website and replace it with accurate information. Maybe others could take the time to do the same and maybe they would correct it. I told them that it was disgusting and inaccurate and that they were turning off potential customers and for them to find out the correct info.
    :mad::(

6. sooz

sooz Approved members

This is the reply I got back from the company:

QUOTE:

Thank you for your input but the disguisting (sic) lies were taken from a
    current presentation in a nationally known diabetes magazine.

We r not claiming we can change the course of diabetes, just saying
    there r other options

Perhaps u should also attack all the other service dog orgs for
    diabetes trained service dogs and the national diabetes foundation for
    publishing these facts in the first place

7. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Incredible!:(

8. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Here is the message I sent them:

""There is an alarming rate of increase in the number of Americans with Diabetes

Approximately 25.8 million people to be exact this past year."

Why are you not distinguishing between type 1 and type 2 diabetes, when further in your "facts" about diabetes you are talking about type 1? This can lead to serious misunderstanding.

----

"Sadly, the majority of Type 1 Diabetes is inflicting millions of children from the day they are born...."

This is totally wrong. The peak diagnosis age for type 1 diabetes is 14 years. People do not have type 1 diabetes from the day they are born (they can have other types, such as neonatal diabetes caused by an absent pancreas or genetic defect).

----

"231,000 DIE each year"

It would be good if you could provide a link to back up this claim. Does it relate to children or adults?

----

"more than 60% have lower limb AMPUTATIONS"

They certainly do not have these as children. I would also like to see the evidence you have to back up this claim for adults with type 1 diabetes, as I think it is simply not true.

----

"These are literally only a few of the illnesses diabetics deal with on a daily basis."

No, we do not deal with these illnesses on a daily basis. SOME diabetics deal with SOME of these conditions.

----

"Children with type one diabetes don't have a choice of whether they go blind or if they are diabetic, it just happens when their blood sugars go up and down each day."

This is totally inaccurate. You imply that every child with type 1 diabetes will go blind! In fact, I have never heard of blindness occuring in a child with type 1 diabetes, and is FAR from inevitable in adulthood.

----

I am completely disgusted by your use of emotion and scare tactics in asking for donations and persuading parents to get a service dog for their children.

I have always been interested in the idea of service dogs, but would now recommend against Pawsibilities Unleashed unless there was a serious retraction to the false and horrible statements posted on this website. I think it is awful to take advantage of people in this way.

I would be interested in seeing where on earth you have obtained these "facts," or whether you have in fact just invented them.

I look forward to a response, explaining why you think it is reasonable to post these things and what your evidence is for holding them to be true.

Emma C_____"

Will be interested to see what they write back. Or if they even bother. I think it's totally, totally wrong. Disgusting is the word.

9. sooz

sooz Approved members

Good job Emma, much better than my reply which was:

They are not facts that pertain to type 1 diabetes. The magazine may have been talking about adults with type 2 diabetes. I love the idea of service dogs but I believe that they are intended mainly for people with type 1 diabetes. You are hurting your business by having this on your page. Trust me, the way I found out about it (your page) is because it is being heavily discussed in a forum for parents who have type 1 diabetic children. They say they would never buy dogs from you because of the sleazy lies that are on your page. It is your business so if you don?t care what the community who your product is aimed at thinks, more power to you. Do what you like...or learn from someone who may be saying something that would help your business. Good luck.

10. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

They seriously sent you an email back using R instead of are and U instead of you?

Their response alone would turn me away. Discusting organization. I wouldn't have anything to do with them, ever, and I won't be helping anyone else with money to get a DAD from them.

11. caspi

caspi Approved members

WOW! So what are they actually saying - that the statements that THEY put on THEIR website aren't actually theirs? :rolleyes:

The fact that they became SO defensive, can't spell or use proper grammar in a reply really does speak volumes, doesn't it? :eek:

12. sooz

sooz Approved members

Strangely it was sent from an iPhone. When you go to their page and want to send them an email it doesn't give you an email address (that I could find) it has you enter YOUR email address and then write on their website. I thought that was weird because most places give you an email contact. I guess it goes right to their phone..who knows?

13. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Other folks on this forum have purchased a dog from this organization and are very pleased with the animal, the training and the service.

DADs are controversial on this forum, but folks who have them absolutely love them.

By the way, we have no animals in our house.

14. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Right here we should see that "inflicting" is the wrong word...should be "afflicting." So either they made it up, or the "national diabetes publication" lacks a proofreader AND a fact checker.

Lame.

15. hawkeyegirl

ROFL! So they had the audacity to be snarky about your misspelling, but then used textspeak, poor capitalization, and shaky sentence structure in their reply?!

Honestly, I've never seen a less professional response to something in my life. This is obviously a quality organization who is sadly misinformed about diabetes. Embarassing. :rolleyes:

16. hawkeyegirl

Also, why on earth did this thread get moved? About 95% of the threads in the Parents forum "belong" in other forums. Why is this one particularly special?

17. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

I believe it was Jeff who moved this thread.

18. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I was very happy to see the response from this "company". It makes it even more evident what kind of outfit they are running and I hope it gives a clear warning for anyone considering giving them money.

I was less happy to see that the thread was moved. Does this mean that all the threads about pumps will be moved to the pump section? Or the CGM threads moved to the CGM section? If not, why only this thread?

I personally would rather see it stay where it was and not get buried in the Fundraising section. As many people as possible need to see this, in my humble opinion.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  19. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Just to be clear: For me, this has nothing to do with DAD's or whether they are beneficial or not or how controversial they are on this forum. It has to do with this company and the way they represent diabetes on their website (and now, the way they respond to potential customers suggestions). Nice job Susan :cwds:

Nice job Emma too. I will be checking back here to see if they responded to you. :cwds:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  20. swellman

swellman Approved members

OMG I read this entire thread even though I thought I shouldn't.

My opinion? Run.

Run, Forrest, Run from this company.

In the tone of the reply sent by a "representative" of the "company".

Epic DAD fail.

$0.02

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.