- advertisement -

Help! I need fundraising ideas.

Discussion in 'Fundraising Activities' started by Sherry Wendi's Mom, Oct 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sherry Wendi's Mom

Sherry Wendi's Mom Approved members

My dd Wendi has applied to get a Diabetic Alert Dog from Liz Norris at Pawsibilies Unleashed, but now starts the fundraising portion. Does anyone have any Fundraising ideas? We are planning a fundraiser at a local restaurant as well as a church function. I want to look into donation boxes left at fast food places, though I am not sure how to go about it. Any other ideas? We are going to need to fundraiser about $10,000.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Given that Wendi is 15 years old, she probably has some options to put some "sweat equity" into this. Babysitting, dogwalking, house cleaning, snow shoveling, housesitting, car washing/detailing all come to mind.

Good luck!

3. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

yard sale, ask for people to make donations of their unwanted items to help. I made it an event on facebook and it helped spread the word. Just make sure the stuff is sellable, we did this for our ADA walk team and some loser donated a bunch of crap that I need to take to the dump:mad: But we raised most of our walk money that way.

4. caspi

caspi Approved members

With all due respect, may I ask why you feel it is the community's responsibility to pay for something that is a want, not a need? With people as strapped for cash as they are these days due to the economy, I would never feel comfortable doing such a thing. My philosophy is that if you can't afford it, you shouldn't ask others to pay for it. But that's just me, I guess.

In answer to your actual question -- if your daughter is 15 she is more than capable of working to earn the money by babysitting, petsitting, etc.

5. Kazee6

Kazee6 Approved members

We are still fundraising for our DAD and have gotten the most response from our Facebook page. All of our friends and family have donated through it as we do not live near most of them. We've done a couple of restaurants ones and they've worked out okay. Our yard sale raised the most at one time. There are several options out there you just have to look for them.

Hopefully, you'll be successful. Our DAD has been the best investment we've made for our boys!

6. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

It's not just you.

To the OP, are you aware of the scare tactics that this company is using to raise money? Not only is it fear mongering, but it is wildly inaccurate as well. I personally would not want to do business with a company that uses these kinds of tactics. But that's just me, I guess.

This is from the company website:

"PLEASE HELP SAVE A CHILD WITH TYPE 1 DIABETES

There is an alarming rate of increase in the number of Americans with Diabetes

Approximately 25.8 million people to be exact this past year.

Sadly, the majority of Type 1 Diabetes is inflicting millions of children from the day they are born....

231,000 DIE each year

more than 60% have lower limb AMPUTATIONS

it is the leading cause of BLINDNESS

These are literally only a few of the illnesses diabetics deal with on a daily basis.

Children with type one diabetes don't have a choice of whether they go blind or if they are diabetic, it just happens when their blood sugars go up and down each day.

If you could help them wouldn't you?!

Well you can!

It's your choice.

Donate.....

and help children of special medical needs get a Medical Alert Service Dog.

They may be too young to say thank you but they will thank you by living longer and living with less pain and fewer complications.

If your child were diabetic wouldn't you want to help him or her?

Let us help you train a Service Dog for your child or family member."

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  7. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Wow.

(MTS.)

8. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

I do not feel that your post indicated that it was the communities "responsibility" to fund your DAD--I feel that you were asking for ideas as to how to raise funds and allow ppl who might want to contribute to do so. You are not sending a bill to everybody who walks by your house but rather asking if they would like to contribute. And if not, that's fine too.

I also don't feel that a 15 yr old can raise that kind of money by herself in order to get something she needs now. It's not like saving for a car in the future. By the time she raises that much money she will have wasted valuable time she could have spent with her dog.

I think a yard sale and asking ppl if they wish to donate stuff they want to get rid of is a great idea. There's stuf in my basement and garage that I'd just be happy for someone to drag out for me. I also was going to say facebook. That way ppl who are close to her can contribute. You can also have a party/fundraiser, kind of like a bridal or baby shower, where ppl know ahead of time exactly what they are being invited to and can decline if they want. (I mean it isn't anyone's responsibility to fund your honeymoon or new nursery, but ppl who care about you might want to.) I might alos have a book sale. You'll have to spend sometime collecting books super cheap at libraries and thrift stores and asking people if they would like to donate books. Then you advertise it as what it is, a book sale to raise money for a D dog. If you pay a dime or quarter a book or get it free and sell each book for a dollar, as well as bottled water and brownies, you'd make decent money. Oh, and there's the favorite of selling bottle water and sandwiches outside of sporting events. Buy cases of water for 5 bucks and sell the water for a buck or two each and you'll make money fast.

Obviusly no one has to contirbute to anything if they choose not too. But if you get the word out, I think ppl may like to.

Oh, if your child plays an instrument, she can go down in the subway and play--I'm from NYC.

9. caspi

caspi Approved members

I guess I'm just old school -- if I can't afford something, I don't buy it. I would never expect other people to help me pay for something that is not an absolutely necessity. Quite frankly, it would be no different than me starting a "fundraiser" because I'd like a new car or would like to go to Bora Bora. ;)

10. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

I also wouldn't "expect" someone to pony up for my wants. They are free not to contribute to my facebook page or buy a book at my book sale or patronize my garage sale. But I could still ask. The way school kids have fundraisers to raise money for class trips that they don't "need" to go on and that their parents/schools won't spring for. Girl scouts sell cookies to raise money for activities. Engaged couples accept monetary contributions to pay for their honeymoons. Even college kids who want to study abroad in Bora Bora might hold a fundraiser to see if anybody might want to contribute to that unnecessary but very much enriching experience. And when I write oof my D healthcare expenses for my fancy $6-7,000 pump and $1200 cgm system, all taxpayers get to share in that cost. At least this is voluntary without the "expectation" of anybody paying for anything if they prefer not to.

11. caspi

caspi Approved members

I get what you are saying that it is a person's right whether or not to contribute. I am just personally turned off by the whole idea of fundraising for something that isn't a necessity. I don't think it's right to put someone in that awkward position. But as I said in a previous post, that's just my opinion. :cwds:

ETA: I also wanted to add that if the OP cannot afford to purchase the dog, are they going to be able to afford the vet bills, food, etc that comes along with owning an animal? All of these things need to be taken into consideration. :cwds:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  12. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I do agree with you in principle, I personally could not ask for funds for something like this BUT, I think that as long as it is done respectfully and it's clear what the money is for, then it becomes the responsibility of the contributor whether or not to give money.

I would not give money to a friend for a car, and I more than likely would not for a DAD either. I have a friend who is forever asking for money to adopt more children, definitely a worthy cause, and many feel it's a calling. But I don't give money because it's not my calling...and I don't really agree with asking others for things like that. But that's my choice, and I wouldn't begrude my friend for trying to get something for her family that was important to her.

I don't see the mom here asking us for money, simply for fundraising ideas.

13. momtojess

momtojess Approved members

Some people has given you great fundraising ideas.

Personally, I am along the lines if I can't afford it, I don't need it. There are alot of people who can't afford insulin or test strips, or who want a cgms and can't afford it. I have never seen anyone ask for fundraiser ideas for a cgms.

14. AlexsDad

AlexsDad Approved members

Wow. That is truly disgusting. I had to go the website myself to see it. Quite the hard sell with the hospital pictures underneath this.

Regardless of whether the dogs can actually detect blood sugar, the scare tactics are descipable.

15. caspi

caspi Approved members

I totally agree. :(

16. Sherry Wendi's Mom

Sherry Wendi's Mom Approved members

Wow! I did not mean to cause such a firestorm. First of all, what one person believes is necessary or not is a matter of opinion. I see a DAD as a necessity to the independence of my daughter. Do I think she could do without? Yes, if I wanted to hover over her and annoy her 24/7 or allow her to continually forget her health and deal with the long-term consequences of it.

Second, I am not demanding that anyone give or contribute and I don't expect to fundraise the entire amount. Her father and I do expect that we will be putting up a lot of the money ourselves. Unfortunately, we feel that the time it will take for us to save that amount of money will be several years. With her age and the fact that she will be going off to college or into her own apartment in 3 years, we feel the time is now to start the training while her Dad and I can help her. Believe me, Wendi will be doing a lot of the fundraising as well.

Thirdly, I don't believe that Pawsibilities Unleashed is using scare tactics. I believe that a DAD is as feasible as a CGMS for those who don't wish to have to put one more medical device in their body. The portion that you quoted is from the donation page which most would not go to without the intention to donate anyway. All the information given on the site for all their service dogs is factual and pertinent. Not to mention, several people on this site have gotten their DAD from Pawsibilities Unleashed and have very good things to say about the company.

For those of you that have given me some ideas on fundraisers, thank you. We definitely appreciate it.

17. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I'm not sure I'd call this a firestorm. And I think it's also important to remember that given the checkered history of many DAD providers (the sad stories of ill-trained dogs being returned and families being bilked out of exorbitant fees) there is a natural skepticism about the groups that provided DAD and the fees they charge. In other words, it's not personal, it's really about what I see as the collective frustration that the DAD providers are so inconsistent in their training methodology and that some families have been so ill served by them.

I hope your dog is terrific. I hope that it all works out.:cwds:

18. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Sherry, I gave you some ideas on your other post. There is alot of money to be made in a good and services raffle or silent auction. If you live in a busy and heavy populated area you can get businesses to donate goods or services such as "a free oil change at Mike's garage" or " $50 gift card to Janes boutique" I love going to things like this and have gone to many of them. Our local Elks club is very good about donating use of their hall for events to raise money for people who have lost their homes due to fire or who need medical treatments that cant afford them. In addition to the auction or raffle they will have some type of dinner, spagetti or something easy and maybe a DJ or band who will offer their services for free. People pay to come and eat and listen to music and take part in the auction. Talk to your local Elks or Moose clubs or other civic organizations about this. This would be for a service dog for your child and not a luxury item so many organizations would be interested in helping you and businesses that you contact love to do this. Its free advertising for them (well, not exactly free as they have to donate a good or service) and it makes them look real good;)

I wish you all the luck with this and hope that it can become a reality. If you'd like I can PM you with info of some friends who have DADs. They would be happy to talk about their experiences with them and how to be able to afford them.

19. sooz

sooz Approved members

We raise money for JDRF and ask people to donate to it. You could say research that is done by JDRF for a cure is not NECESSARY. Our kids CAN and DO live quite well without a cure. But will their lives be better once a cure comes or once advances are made through that research? We contribute ourselves, and we ask others to contribute, through direct solicitation and also by putting on a poker tournament. I like the garage sale idea and selling water and baked goods at it. Good luck!

20. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I am surprised you don't see that information as being used to scare people into donating money and that you feel it is an accurate representation of Type 1 diabetes. If you feel comfortable working with a company that uses those kinds of tactics, then go for it. Who am I to say otherwise?

I just wanted to make you and everyone else here aware of the type of tactics they are using to drum up money. Personally I think it is disgraceful, demeaning to our children, and wrong. But that is just me.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.