- advertisement -

Help, I am freaking out.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Sherry Wendi's Mom, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Sherry Wendi's Mom

Sherry Wendi's Mom Approved members

Ok. I am so stressed. Wendi is going for her pump start tomorrow. I know that it is normal, but I didn't think I'd be this stressed. She took her last Lantus last night and we will be keeping an eye on her every couple of hours until her 8:30 appt in the morning. I feel as if I am going to forget something or miss something and cause real problems. Up until this morning, I was ecstatic and psyched about it. Now I feel like I am not going to get through the next 24 hours. I know everyone goes through this and possibly all that I need is some encouragement. :eek: Thanks.

2. Daniel's Mom 1993

Daniel's Mom 1993 Approved members

I was that way too.. but the Omnipod is so easy, you will be surprised. It will more than likely take some adjusting to get the basals right ours went up significantly with the pump but your endo and CDE should really walk you through all the adjustments at first - I think I called numbers in for about 2 weeks. Try to remember if you are stressed over a day without Lantus that the Lantus will actually be in her system longer than you think at least it was that way for us. Daniel just took a week and a half off his pod(that is another story) he took Lantus at 7am - when he went back to the pod he did not take the Lantus that morning and put a pod on - he ran really good all day then he was a little high at bed time(178) we did not correct and he woke up at 114 - I am pretty sure the Lantus was still working some.

3. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

I remember being sooo scared about a device giving him insulin vs me. Change can be hard, but stick with it, in a week or so you will be just fine and most likely loving the pump!!

4. Denise

Denise Approved members

It WILL BE okay. I promise. You will be so glad you did this. I started having anxiety attacks the week before pump start and had to take meds for it. We work ourselves into a frenzy because it's so important to us and our children.

5. Madisonsmom

Madisonsmom Approved members

When Madison had her start I was a mess. I could not believe they wanted me to not give her Lantus.

But you know she was fine we were only to correct over 250 and we never had to correct till she had the pump start. In fact there were 6 kids that started with her and none of them needed corrections.( they were all under 250)

Hope all goes well and you will love pumping.

6. CC'sMom

CC'sMom Approved members

I understand you being nervous. But I think you're going to be really happy! And just so you know, we had a smooth pump start. Sending you good wishes for your to go well too!

7. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

We knew we wanted a pump on the day of dx, have other pumpers in our family, and had all the confidence in the world pumping was the right decision for my DD. And I still totally freaked out before and during pumpstart.

You and Wendi will be fine. Just try to take it one step at a time and don't worry if you don't remember every single little thing. You'll just take site changes, bolusing etc one little step at a time until you're a pro. And if you have problems you ask for help and figure it out. No big deal. Just like you've learned how to do MDI. One day at a time.

Good luck.:cwds:

8. 2boysmom

2boysmom Approved members

Well, if it makes you feel any better you are not alone! My son starts on the Ping tomorrow and I am a wreck! I am confident in our decision to do it but very nervous all the same.

9. sunnydays

sunnydays Approved members

We started pinging last Tuesday so I know how you feel. Here we are 7 days later- kobe's numbers are great and we couldn't be happier. You'll definitely get through it and you'll probably wish you'd started sooner!

10. candise

candise Approved members

You will do great- it truthfully is so easy. We have been pumping since June and would never go back.

11. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

A lot to learn, you don't have to learn it all at once. You will be so happy that you took this leap. And there are so many here who can help you, in addition to your trainer and endo. Happy pumping!

12. sooz

sooz Approved members

You will love it! It is way easier than you think it is going to be...very intuitive and it has prompts all along the way..let us know how it is going!! good luck!!

13. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

No worries.. it's a big change but it's also easy (you'll push a button, hear a click, and you're pumping). It takes about a week of watching #'s to get into the routine of using it, then you'll feel like a pro.

14. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

I felt the same exact way the few days before we were to start pumping. It did take some getting used to, not giving all those shots, felt like I was forgetting something.

I am SO glad we decided to allow Mann to pump. We love it and don't regret it for one minute.

Good luck tomorrow! :cwds:

15. Snowbound

Snowbound Approved members

Good luck. It can be hard the first couple of weeks, but it's well worth it.

We were not rested enough when we did the pump start, both my wife and I had just finished a lot of overtime and we were also dealing with erratic bg's coming out of the honeymoon.

I think that we made almost every possible mistake in the first couple of weeks, but on the positive side ever error is a learning experience and we quickly learned how to deal with all the things that can go wrong :D

16. bbirdnuts@aol.com

bbirdnuts@aol.com Approved members

Sherry my daughter started the OmniPod on Jan 8, 2010. This Pod is wonderful you will not believe what a difference it will make in your lives. Yes, I was scared too. Now I was depending on a device to administer insulin. What if it failed or malfunctioned. I was scared. I have so much more peace now. Change is frightening. So many things were bothering me, and when the nurse told me the basal settings the Endo. had ordered I was really concerned. I was right. I had two completely sleepless nights and finally they decreased the basal settings by 40%. Much better now - still needs tweaking here and there to get rid of mild lows. You can PM me if you want someone to talk to tonight.

17. shekov

shekov Approved members

18. Sherry Wendi's Mom

Sherry Wendi's Mom Approved members

Thanks everyone! I feel much better now. We are now on our way to the appointment. I think it was just overload. I am going to go back to work (part-time) after our initial test/basal adjustment. I think I was taking to much in.

I will check in later and tell you how it went.

Mom2, we'll get through it. Good luck!

19. Toni

Toni Banned

You will do not only fine, but great! You have the EMLA or LMX? I would put it on in advance (one hour before the insertion of the set). Or you can use ice or icepack to numb. Our endo put one flat basal and the basal was a bit lower than it should have been. This is to prevent lows. We had highs, but that was expected from the lower basal setting. That was our main worry in the beginning. It was frustrating adjusting evening and overnight basals at first. Basal need in the 6pm to midnight period was much greater. So much easier on the child (no more shots) but harder on the parents, I think. You will be able to get lots of advice from this board. And chances are, some of the advice will work, some may not apply. Make sure your endo team can be reached and ask them for frequent help adjusting numbers. I think you have all bases covered.:D

20. 2boysmom

2boysmom Approved members

Glad you are feeling better. That makes ONE of us! My stomach is in knots! We are leaving in five minutes.

Please do let us know how it goes later!