- advertisement -

Help! High Numbers at Math Camp

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by JohnMom, Jun 18, 2009.

1. JohnMom

JohnMom Approved members

My son is attending a math camp for the next two weeks. He goes for 2 hours a day from 1 to 3. He starts at a BS of 120 and ends at 360. I have given him a temp basal of 120 percent start a 1/2 hour before ending in 2 hours. I have cut his carb ratios at lunch. Nothing seems to help. It is almost not worth sending him because he is running so high. Does anybody have any other ideas?

2. twicker1

twicker1 Approved members

I'm sorry, but I can't help myself...

I read the title and all I could think of what what a great opportunity to practice figuring out carb counts and insulin with all the multiplication and division!!!! :D

Joking aside, I'm wondering if the extra mental exercise is running him high? The stress? I would probably start the temp basal an hour before he goes. We had to start a lower basal an hour before Brandono went to gym to see an improvement. I would say that it is even better that it is two weeks, because you have more time to get it figured out. If it were only one week, then by the time you figured it out, it would be over.

Are they getting any snacks while there?

3. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hes probably not moving around much at this camp so you may have to raise his basal a bit more. I was going to ask about snacks too, if he gets them and would someone there know how to bolus him for his snack