- advertisement -

HELP forgot to give Lantus.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by CassiesMama, May 28, 2010.

1. CassiesMama

CassiesMama Approved members

We were so busy last night I plum forgot to give it to her. What should I do?

2. Rukio

Rukio Banned

Well, I actually did that a lot close to being diagnosed (Up till my half way to second year >.<) pretty much from my experience Id run a higher then normal BG. YDMV. Probably just dose her like normal for highs, and remember the next night.

3. spamid

spamid Approved members

Also check more frequently. Without Lantus, there is no basal. I wouldn't correct more than every two hours.

4. CassiesMama

I am wondering if I should give her half a dose of it since its about 12 hours past her time or how i should do that.

5. JaxDad

JaxDad Approved members

Call your endo.

6. CaelinsMommy

CaelinsMommy Approved members

You are going to have to give her some Lantus, call your endo's office for guidance :cwds:

7. Tracy1918

Tracy1918 Approved members

You know, I haven't forgotten to give Lantus (yet!), but I was getting to the point where I was close.

So.....I headed to Target and bought a watch with 3 alarms! I leave alarm 3 set to 8pm at all times.

I can't tell you the number of times that watch beeps and has saved me!

Hope that helps!

8. CassiesMama

I normally keep my cell set to go off for it but my battery had died a few hours before and I didnt even know. Now I wake up in a panic cause I felt like I forgot something and now I know what it was. *face palm*

9. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

It's funny, McKenna herself reminds me more often than not that it is time for her Lantus.

10. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

At this point, I would divide up the amount on Lantus give by 6 and give that amount in a Humalog shot every four hours until time for the next Lantus shot.

11. CassiesMama

Called the endos office but who knows when they will call me back, no mater what I call them about it always takes 24 hours before I hear back from them. I think I am going to set all clocks in the house to go off from now on.

12. blbrocky

blbrocky Approved members

You could split the Lantus dose and give half now and then the other half at the normal time.

13. MichS

MichS Approved members

If she did this, then how would she get back on the regular routine?
    That would be my concern.
    If it were me, and you were already 12 hours into the problem, I'd probably be sure to give humalog every 4 hours (food and a little bit extra for basal) - until tonight. Good luck!

14. wilf

wilf Approved members

It's a great opportunity to move the Lantus from evening to morning - you could just give the full dose now and have accomplished the switch. This would be a good course to take if there have been issues with night-time lows from the Lantus peaking.

15. CassiesMama

I heard back from the endo late in the day and they said give her half like I did in the morning then half again tonight. Then just give her full dose tomorrow at bedtime. Just glad they got back to me same day. Just wish it was a bit sooner.:rolleyes:

16. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

Glad you got that sorted out. But when we traveled from Chicago to Tokyo, our endo said to give her Lantus the same time the night before we left, then not give it to her until the same time she takes it but on Tokyo time. So that meant she wasn't covered for several hours, about half a day.