advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help dealing with Diabetes Burnout

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Jenjo13, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Jenjo13

Jenjo13 New Member

My daughter is 15 years old and the last two appointments have been horrible with high A1C's. Both have been due to her not checking her blood sugar or not covering her carbs or both!!! We did good for a short time after the doctor's visit, but now we are back to not checking her blood sugars and last night we discovered that she had not checked for days!! When we talked to her about it all we get for an answer is "I just want to be normal." through tears. She knows what she needs to do but is not doing it. She is on a Medtronic pump with CGM (when I get her to wear the sensor, we have lots of trouble with the Enlite sensor). We are on the list for the new G670 insulin pump from Medtronic with the new Guardian Sensor, but due to release it could be next year before we receive it. Does anyone have suggestions on ways to help her overcome these feelings and make things easier? I don't know what to do anymore and I also feel like a complete failure when she doesn't do things correctly and our numbers are all over. She is getting older and needs to learn to do it for herself but how do you get it across how important it is?

Please help a burnout mom and teenage girl with diabetes overcome this trial in our journey........

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Hello and welcome but sorry you have to be here. Burnout happens to all of us at one point or another. Both to the person with Type 1 and their caregivers. You don't say how long you have been dealing with this and I guess it really doesn't matter. If she would be open to this you could offer to take over her care for awhile. Basically to give her a break. Yes she needs to be able to care for herself but she has her whole life to deal with this herself so I see nothing wrong with doing it for her temporarily right now.

Is there a reason she doesn't want to wear the CGM? If it is because you are having problems maybe try a different CGM? The Dexcom has been great for Danielle. It would free her from having to do so many fingersticks and make things a little more "normal". This may be just a phase that she is going through but if you think it might help her you may want to seek out a counselor, prefereably one who specializes in treating people with chronic illnesses. It's hard enough being a teenage girl, let alone one who has the added burden of Type 1. She may appreciate someone to talk to about things. If she doesn't want that maybe she could try talking to other kids with Type 1. Danielle never went to a diabetes camp but some kids find them helpful. Finally, if you feel like a failure and she is picking up that vibe from you, that will only make her feel worse. You should try and get a handle on your own feelings and that will not only help you feel better but could help her too. Use the parents on this forum. We have all been there and know what you're going through.

Hang in there

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  3. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

I agree Christopher about taking on diabetes yourself while she's with you. Perhaps if you take that amount, the rest will be more manageable for her. I did far more diabetes in the 15-17 age range than in the younger years. She was struggling with the crazy busy teen life with knowing she would be going solo with diabetes very quickly. It was overwhelming to her.

Do you know adults with T1D? Our friends have been so good for my daughter; they get what she's dealing with in ways I can't and can speak to her as needed.

Integrated Diabetes has a person that they refer their clients to for counseling. It might be giving them a call to get a referral? I know my daughter has said if she ever needs counseling, the person has to get diabetes.

Ginger Vieiria's book on Diabetes Burn-out is excellent. https://www.amazon.com/Dealing-Diabetes-Burnout-Frustrated-Overwhelmed/dp/1936303590

4. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

It may be helpful to connect with others who have diabetes as well. My daughter would listen to other teens/young adults with diabetes over my opinion on how to manage diabetes any day of the week. There is a real connection that sharing the same struggles of diabetes creates. My daughter has many friends with diabetes that she has made over the years at diabetes camp; these are girls she is in touch with on a regular basis, even though they don't live close. After working at diabetes camp this past summer, she has even more connections, kids she worked with & made memories with all summer & they are truly her closest friendships. That said, my daughter is so funny when she realizes that someone has type 1...goes out of her way to introduce herself. She sees someone has an insulin pump & she is casually pulling out her pump...trying to get the other person to notice, lol. She says, "those are my people!"

Counseling could be helpful as well. My daughter saw a counselor/psychiatrist for a few years & it was definitely helpful. The teen years are difficult. Diabetes makes them different at a time when all they want to do is be the same as everyone else.