- advertisement -

Help, constant high numbers with illness but no/trace ketones

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by liasmommy2000, Jun 29, 2011.

1. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

Lia has a bad cold and high readings that will NOT go down no matter what I do. No ketones (well a few trace readings), but she hasn't gone under 200 but twice since coming home from camp Friday afternoon. She's generally been between 250 and 350. I have changed sites, changed insulin vials, increased basals, done temp basals of 200% and NOTHING is helping. I have twice had to change the max basal setting in her pump because we're getting that warning.

I guess it could be the pump itself, I haven't given a shot as I'm sure it's not a bad site since we've changed it a few times and no ketones. Other than that what to do? I've called the endo's office to leave voice mails and get messages for both the cde and np that they are on vacation. I think the endo is volunteering at camp this week, they may be too. They say to leave a message for emergencies but since she doesn't have ketones, I don't know that I would call it an emergency. Just very frustrating! I will give her a shot tonight (I'm at work, she's at grandma's and I forgot to pack the syringes/vial though in an emergency my mom has a key to our house, it's just a bit of a drive otherwise). What else can I do other than keep upping insulin? Normally in cases like this if we do a temp basal of 150-200 it works!

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I think that trying a shot is the best idea. This will tell you if the pump is malfunctioning.

3. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Sorry Laurie:( Any fever? is she eating? drinking enough? Im hoping its not the flu. Ive heard that BGs can get stuck high with the flu and be very stubborn. Shes probably a bit insulin resistant now and may need lots more insulin to overcome that. I would probably start giving some insulin via syringe just to see if you can break through the insulin resistance and get her on the right track. Hope she's feeling better real fast!

4. mommabear

mommabear Approved members

I agree with this...I would probably have the doctor paged to check in with him..But I'am one of those moms that call the doc. over EVERYTHING:rolleyes:.I just can't help it..Sorry that she is sick, I hope that you figure it all out and she gets better soon.:cwds:

5. liasmommy2000

Thanks, I should have done a shot before, but I always think of the site or tubing going bad, not so much the pump.

However things are starting to improve (I think). She woke in the mid 200's and we corrected. That was at six am. When she checked at my mom's before breakfast she was 176, had scrambled eggs and bacon, no toast so no insulin. That was around 10 am or a little before and she's now 120.

Nope no fever, vomiting etc. Just a bad cold. She had a horrible sore throat but now that's gone and left really stuffy nose, sneezing and runny eyes. Oh and she's really tired which is kind of odd for her with a cold. But she's been more tired than normal the last three weeks and I'm not sure if it's because she's just been super busy or what.

6. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Are you sure it's a cold rather than hayfever? I tend to get the symptoms you describe with hayfever, and my BGs go absolutely through the roof until the symptoms are under control. Just a thought.

Glad things are looking so much better today.

7. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Sounds like things are better. In the future, once you have eliminated other issues (bad site, bad insulin, etc), just keep increasing the amount of insulin untill you see the high numbers start to come down. It really can be that simple.

8. liasmommy2000

Well I kept doing that and hoping but nothing. I've never had a situation where increasing SO much did nothing. I'm hoping it isn't a sign of hormones starting to rear their head. :eek:

9. liasmommy2000

That was what my husband thought but she generally doesn't have problems with that and a similar very nasty cold bug has been making the rounds of our office here at work. I thought maybe I had taken the germs home with me. Darn coworkers who come to work hacking up a lung. Ugh. :mad: