- advertisement -

Help! Bolusing for Beef Hotdogs

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by tuckerk, Sep 2, 2008.

1. tuckerk

tuckerk Approved members

Hi, everyone! My little girl is begging for a hot dog for dinner. I know how to count carbs for the bun, but what do I do for meat. It seems that they always cause a high spike in BS.

The brand that we eat are the BallPark Beef Hot Dogs:
    Nutritional Info:
    Total Fat-16 grams
    Sat Fat-7
    Trans Fat-1 gram
    Protein-6 grams
    Fiber -0 grams
    Carbohydrates-4 grams

2. Big Hair Momma

Big Hair Momma Approved members

For my son, I would bolus for all of the bun up front and an extended for the hot dog plus half the fat in the hd over 3 hours. This could give us an immediate burst, but also a slow enough amount to deal with the fat spike.

HTH!

3. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

I was thinking extended bolus too. I would probably do 60% up front then 40% over a set amount of time usually 3 or 4 hours.

4. tuckerk

tuckerk Approved members

I am fairly new at pumping with Cozmo also. Do u do a 50/50 extended bolus ? This may be a dumb question, but I have to ask, do you put the # for the fat count in when it ask for carbs?

5. Big Hair Momma

On the extended, it isn't a split dose, it's a steady dose over a set period of time. With the 50/50, you are thinking of a combo bolus. I wouldn't do that. I would bolus for all of the carbs including the bun, but not the hot dog and bolus the hot dog seperately in the extended.

For the carbs, just add the total carbs+half fat=total carb bolus.

In your example, hot dog, 4 + half fat, 8 = total carb, 12.

ETA: I would bolus 12 carbs in the extended over 3 or 4 hours. It doesn't seem like a lot of insulin, but for us makes a big difference.

does that make sense?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  6. tuckerk

tuckerk Approved members

Makes perfect sense! Except I was thinking that the split dosing was not an extended bolus also, so I used the combo bolus. Would'nt you know that after that she decides she doesn't want the bun, but has eaten 2 franks. So that would be a total of 24 carbs, right?
    2(4 grams CHO each) + 1/2(32 grams fat total)=24 grams
    I hope it all works out.
    Thanks for the clarification:)

7. Big Hair Momma

You did good, MOM! ;) It took me a long time to figure out when to use a combo vs. extended. For us, we use a combo if it's going to be something that sticks around for a long time, ie pizza, ice cream, pasta, some breads, etc. For the extended, we use it if its something that going to be munched on for a while, ie popcorn at the movies, Gatorade, a holiday buffet, etc. In the case of the hot dog, I would have used an extended because, while it is something that will stay for awhile (lots of fat and protein), for us the bread would have gone really fast and still left a bunch of insulin on the front end. By doing the Standard bolus first, and the Extended bolus to cover the dog, it would have been more even in is dispersion.

HTH! YDMV! :cwds: