- advertisement -

Help! 1st infusion set change & it's stuck

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Momto3, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Momto3

Momto3 Approved members

We are trying to change DD's infusion set for the first time and it is adhered really well. It's on her back and it's pulling hair and hurting when I try to remove it. If you anyone has suggestions, would love to hear it because right now we are dealing with a lot of tears.

2. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

You don't need to remove the old site to put in a new one. You can put the new one in and then take your time with the old one. Do you have Remove wipes? They are a wipe that gets the glue to loosen up so the site comes off. Otherwise, I know some use baby oil.

Good luck! You'll get it!:cwds:

3. Momto3

Momto3 Approved members

Do you the name of the wipes? I will run out and buy baby oil to have on hand until we get some of the wipes.

I'm not sure who is more traumatized DD or my husband and me.

Thank you so much for your help!!!

4. TheTestingMom

TheTestingMom Approved members

We've used baby oil. Hope it works, poor thing.. :(

5. Gsmama

Gsmama Approved members

We used to put the new site on, get it working, then slather the old site with vaseline, cocoa butter, whatever lotion we had on hand and it would eventually slide off. No pulling ever.
    Good luck.

6. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

Here's what we did to make set changes go more smoothly. Get all your gear out and ready. Get the insulin out of the fridge to warm up.

Take some baby oil and soak the old site. If you are using tegaderm or IV300try to peel it up just abit to squirt some baby oil underneath.

Let it sit and draw a nice bath. Let the kiddo splash around in a relaxing tub. While kid is playing with some fun new bath toys, change the cartridge and get the new set all loaded into the pump.

Now that the child has soaked in the tub, the baby oil and water combo will melt the set right off and it should slide off like butter.

Give the area where the old set was and the new set will go a nice good scrub down to clean it well. We use regular antibacterial hand soap on a washcloth. It cleans the old site nicely and gets the grime off the new site so it will stick better, especially in the hot summer.

Now that you have a nice, relaxed, clean kid, you can either pop the new set on in the bathroom, or let them watch a TV show while you pop it on.

Eventually, you will shorten this, learn to do set changes in parkinglots and playgrounds. But in the beginning, this is a mellow way to go.

;)

7. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

I've used plain ol' rubbing alcohol to remove sites.

8. giddyup_go

giddyup_go Approved members

We use Uni-Solve wipes, made by the makers of IV Prep. Works like a charm. We order them from Animas when we order our sets. Insurance does pay for them. I do know that some people use baby oil with good success.

9. namegirl

namegirl Approved members

You can also remove sites with De-Solv-it, an orange-based cleaner. Most drug stores and grocery stores carry it, Wal Mart, Target, etc. It's in the cleaning products aisle.

10. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

We have Uni-Solve, but my daughter cannot stand the smell (it is kind of nasty). Anyway, I just let her work her inset lose and she pulls it out.

11. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

This is so true. The first few site changes seem so difficult. You'll soon be doing it half-asleep.

The only problem with being too clean and "soft" is that the new site might fall off easily ... and that's where stuff like skin-tac or mastisol will solve the issue.

12. BRANDYB

BRANDYB Approved members

Love love unisolve. I can send you some to try if you want them.

13. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

We have tried just about every remover out there, and like the Unisolve liquid the best for removing the pods. I just squirt it on and it works it way underneath and the pod just falls off. Nothing else works nearly as well and with no working at it. I think that the liquid is more economical as well, haven't checked to see if new insurance covers it, but last one didn't. The bottle I have has lasted at least a year, and I'm sure that I use a lot more than you would for a regular pump site.

14. tiger7lady

tiger7lady Approved members

We had the same problem when DS started pumping. I keep reading about people having trouble with sites sticking but for us we had trouble getting them to come off!

We also go the baby oil routine. When it's time for a site change we cover the old site with baby oil and try and get a little under if it's peeling up in any area. Then we wait 15 min or so and DS hopes in the shower. After his shower it slides right off and we put in a new site.

15. Momto3

Momto3 Approved members

You are so kind! I JUST ordered some from Animas. They will be here tomorrow. Thank you so much!!!

16. Momto3

Momto3 Approved members

Thank you so much for your replies. I honestly don't know what I would do without all of you to turn to during times like last night.

We have Uni-Solve on the way and will be heading out to buy baby oil. We'll also try the shower/bath methods next time.

I think I am still traumatized from the ordeal. I really hadn't expected so many tears and pain. I had read so much the adhesive not being sticky enough and was prepared for that, especially since we have been swimming daily.

Thank you again!! You guys are so awesome!!!

17. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Unisolve leaves sticky behind for us. We use the Joy method on the Jacob'sdad schedule.

Put the new set in, then give her a bath after oiling the old site (we've been known to use olive oil!). We will let her pull it off at her leisure unless we think there's an infection hazard after that, because she feels better doing it herself.

At our pump start the CDE wanted us to take off the first old site in front of her so she could show us what the cannula looked like. I said, naw, we'll do it at home using Joy's method. She insisted, it was really important, and pulling the old site was no big deal.

Well, when we pulled that thing Selah cried like the world was ending. The CDE was shocked -- shocked. She said she had no idea it would bother her that much. Should have been our first hint that she didn't know as much as she thought she did about pumping. No little kid likes having a bandaid pulled! :mad:

I've also read here to look out, that if kids are allergic or just sensitive to adhesives it can really make removal hell for them, and you might not know it. We had complaints from paper tape, it was so gentle I didn't know why she was roaring. LF here mentioned that some folks have sensitivity to it. Sure enough, when I looked close enough, it had irritated her skin underneath. So I was pulling tape off of sore skin. :(

18. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Oh, a benefit of removing later is that you have a second site if the new one fails (although if it's been oiled already it can't be used, of course, and we cover it with the buckle thingy).

19. Parla

Parla Approved members

Love the thread. Just got off the phone with Animas and uni-solve is covered by our insurance so they are shipping out a box now. DD(8) has only been pumping a few weeks and each change has been a little harder than the last. Disappointed to find they don't cover Tegaderm though since I don't really care for this IV3000 stuff that was included with our shipment. It tends to peel around the edges and looks pretty ugly in a bikini.

20. manda81

manda81 Approved members

We use baby oil on old sites. We apply it with a cotton ball about 20 mins before we're going to do the actual site change, and by the time we're ready, it's easily removable.