- advertisement -

Hello

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MyTMax08, Sep 21, 2011.

1. MyTMax08

MyTMax08 Approved members

Hi, My name is Melissa and our son has recently been diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes...he is 8 yrs old. Needing a place to get to know other families dealing with the same disease. Looking forward to getting to know you!

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Danielle was dx at 8 as well. Just wanted to say welcome, but sorry you have to be here. Feel free to ask anything that is on your mind. You have found a great site for support and information. The early days are very tough, you are overwhelmed emotionally, sleep deprived, and scared. But over time you will become more comfortable dealing with all the things you need to do to live with this illness. You will find a "new normal" believe it or not, and things will get into more of a routine. All the parents here are proof of that.

Here are some books you may find useful:

Understanding Diabetes (aka The Pink Panther book)
    by Dr. Peter Chase of the Barbara Davis Center at the University of Colorado.
    http://www.childrensdiabetesfdn.org/publications.html

Think Like a Pancreas: A Practical Guide to Managing Diabetes with Insulin
    by Gary Scheiner, Barry Goldstein
    http://www.amazon.com/Think-Like-Pancreas-Practical-Managing/dp/1569244367

Sweet Kids: How to Balance Diabetes Control & Good Nutrition with Family Peace
    by Betty Page Brackenridge, MS, RD, CDE & Richard R. Rubin, PhD, CDE. Published by the American Diabetes Association, 2002. 250 pages. Softcover.
    http://www.amazon.com/Sweet-Kids-Balance-Diabetes-Nutrition/dp/1580401244

Type 1 Diabetes: A Guide for Children, Adolescents and Young Adults -- and Their Caregivers
    by Ragnar Hanas, M.D. Published by Marlowe & Company, New York,
    http://www.amazon.com/Type-Diabetes-Adolescents-Adults-Caregivers/dp/1569243964

This is a guide that I have used for school that is very helpful:

http://www.ndep.nih.gov/media/Youth_NDEPSchoolGuide.pdf

Finally, in addition to the forums there is a chat room here where you can talk to other parents in "real time".

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/chat/

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  3. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

Welcome, and sorry we are meeting like this. My daughter is also 8, but she was diagnosed almost 10 months ago. Look forward to getting to know you better.

4. mommabear

mommabear Approved members

Hello and welcome Melissa...You will get so much useful info from this forum..:cwds:

5. ashtensmom

ashtensmom Approved members

Welcome. My daughter is 8 now but was dx'd at 7 (almost 5 months ago). Your family is not alone. Sorry you had to join this club.

6. MountainJam

MountainJam Approved members

Welcome and I am sorry you have to be here.

DS was also diagnosed 2 years ago at 8 years old. He has dealt with it far better than I could ever have hoped. He is now a very active 10 year old who doesn't let D keep him from being a normal kid.

I know it is tough right now, but you will find your "new normal" quicker than you think.

7. jbmom1b2g

jbmom1b2g Approved members

My DD was diagnosed in June of this yr and she will be 8 in Jan. This site has helped me a lot. Even though I dont post a whole lot

8. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hi Melissa and welcome:cwds: This is the best place to come and meet other parents of children iwth type 1 diabetes. Feel free to come back and ask questions or to just let us know how youre all doing

9. MyTMax08

Thanks. I think it is going to be a whole lot easier to cope having friends out there to listen.

10. MyTMax08

Thanks

:cool: It's nice to know that there are others out there going through the same thing. I look forward to getting to know you all more. Blessings, Melissa

11. MyTMax08

When

When does the watching him sleep ever stop? For what seems like the longest moment ever last night I asked for our little boy back. :(

12. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Hi Melissa. My son is 7, diagnosed 3 years ago today. There are countless shoulders here to lean on...and a wealth of information and experience. You will find great people here...some are excellent technical advisors, some wonderfully soothing and kind, some have great management tips, some will make you laugh...but most are great all around.

How are you and your son doing? Look forward to getting to know you.:) Welcome!

13. MyTMax08

Thanks. I just need a place to talk. Holding a little too much in I think. Nice to meet you!

14. ashtensmom

ashtensmom Approved members

This post made me cry. I still have my moments too that I want my little girl back (the way she was). I so miss the days, just months ago, where I would wake her for school and not have to inject insulin and count carbs. And, days where I am off work and can get some house cleaning done instead of spending hours reading about diabetes. I am still angry and sad this happened to her. She had such a great bill of health prior I still don't understand how some kids get it without any family history. I am always questioning what we did that would have caused it, although I know it's nothing we did.

But, I do have my moments of normalcy now. So, it's true you do get used to it. Hang in there and all the best for you and your family.

15. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Oh Melissa...you still have your little boy.:cwds: Thank God and insulin that you still have your little boy. Every little part of him that you love is still there...except for a functioning pancreas (and I bet you didn't gaze at him before and love his pancreas!:p;)). And you will find even more to love and admire about him in the months to come. The first thing my sister said to me when she learned of my son's dx was "You'll be amazed how strong he will be." My sister raised a daughter dx with D at 2 years old...and her other daughter was dx as an adult. And she is so right. My son, despite bouts of well-deserved complaints, is strong and happy and doing everything he would have done without D...except for eating without getting his insulin. His pancreas is not what makes your son who he is.

I am sure, however, that what you want is your life "before" back. I'm so sorry that none of us have that. But D will be integrated into your life now until, eventually, it is just another part of life...and not the biggest part like it is now. Try to remember how you felt with your first newborn...how hard it was to leave their side and the need to watch them sleep. Learning to live with D will be sort of like that...you slowly begin to trust in your care for him and know he will be okay. I wish I could take the next months away from you...they are tough...but we all go through a process of grieving and adjusting to arrive to calmer shores again. As you go through these days, try to hold on to the fact that it will not always be this stressful, scary, and sad. These new days will not last forever. I know your heart will not want to hear or believe that you will be okay again...but the people here will vouch for that fact.

Hang on, be good to yourself, learn as you go...you have so many people in this forum who know how you are feeling and who want to help.:cwds:

16. MyTMax08

Nothing is impossible...

Yesterday, I was able to get out a bit...drove to drop off Madeline's homework, Chloe's excuse for being gone Wednesday and to the public library to drop off a book; as I was heading to the library I wanted to stop by the Corps and say hello since it was on the way. It was good to be able to help on a project and to talk...hearing that it is okay to have vulnerabilities and depending on our personalities getting through issues is a whole lot easier for some than others; some people find that encouragement from others helps, some find that working through it on their own works best, some people simply feel that it shouldn't be hard to get over it...it's all in who YOU are!

After the library, I was on my way home and was thinking about our family and all of the changes that have taken place in the course of 3 months...wowsers for the Housers! We have all learned more about each other, have stuck together regardless and love very deeply now (not that we didn't before, but even more than we had).

I got home and finished dishes, a few loads of laundry, some reading for school and before I knew it --- time to get the kids! It was pouring so I left in the Jeep and drove just up the street. Kids got in the car and immediately expressed their excitement about later when the School Open House would be taking place; from 6-7 P.M. I was excited as well, has I was being inducted as the Treasurer =) We got home and completed homework, cooked dinner and I got us all ready for our big event. We headed out the door, and since it was still raining drove down to the school and welcomed and helped pass out flyers to parents & students...offering PTA opportunities as well ;p The kids and I went from class to class, they introduced me to their favorite things and it was over...time went really fast. We said our goodbyes to the staff and headed to the Jeep, getting in I realized that I only had my purse; that somewhere we had left Maxim's medical bag. I FREAKED. I YELLED. I POUNDED ON THE STEERING WHEEL. I was angry about forgetting where I had left it, I was blaming the kids for being antsy and not focusing patiently on what we were doing from place to place, I was mad because James David was in Mississippi and could not be with us, I was letting everything out at that moment. The kids were crying and apologizing and I was acting in an inequitable manner...what was wrong with me! Kids got their pajamas on and watched a movie while I did dinner dishes and thought about my actions. I wasn't willing to see past the impossible...

Thinking to myself, why is there this point in my life where I have to expect Max to remember these things, to have to have him focus (be aware) on his symptoms so people can help, to be careful, to not laugh at all it seems bc it might hinder his levels...why?! Why is it so hard to see past the initial shock, deal with the fears, let anyone know my vulnerabilities...I never felt so much weighing on my heart and feeling like it was all impossible...

Our son has this way about him, where he is very genuine in his words and feelings...he saw my pain, he always does. He told me he loved me and that he was very sorry. That broke me, I knew that I needed to start seeing the bigger picture in this journey and to not blame myself anymore; that it hasn't been anything I have done to cause it...to realize that maybe I was chosen because of how strong I have become and how I have understood the IMPORTANCE His place in our lives has been. I knew God was speaking to me through Max, I felt a burden lifted. God was reminding me how sorry he is and that there can be peace...that NOTHING is impossible. I slept good...

Today, I wanted to apologize but not be rushed in the sincerity of my feelings due to school starting...so I have been waiting to talk to our children and ask for forgiveness. While waiting to talk to them today, I found a song by Kari Jobe called the "Healer"...been listening to it all day long... I have never sobbed as I did after it was over. It is a beautiful reminder of the possibilities we will ALWAYS have in God, we just have to be broken and ask. I am blessed tonight (and sad too, as I write on the reflection of my day yesterday...my heart aches that I heart them with my behavior).

Please pray for me, for this journey we are on, for our son and the beauty we see in him and how possible God has shown us it can be through Maxim, pray that we will ask and ask and ask when we are in need --- God will never turn us away nor forsake us for what we ask in His name.

...Melissa...