- advertisement -

Hello!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by lizabetic, Jul 13, 2011.

1. lizabetic

lizabetic New Member

Hello! My name's Liz. Been looking at this forum for a few days and decided to join finally :)

I'm 19, from England. I have a funny diabetes story... was diagnosed Type 1 Diabetic at 16, no ketones though, and put on insulin for 6 months or thereabout until my levels dropped! Throughout that time I was also eating to accomodate for the insulin, rather than how it ought to be.

I went for two years thinking that I was simply on a honeymoon period - without insulin, because thats what my Endo told us. Until I got a new GP who I totally flummexed by telling him all I knew which was Type 1 honeymoon period no insulin :confused: He then mentioned MODY diabetes being possible, however neither of my parents have diabetes - mother had gestational apparently.. Endo now thinks slow onset type 1, however i'm a little skeptical since my number range is pretty 'set' between 5 - 13mmol sometimes up to 19 and have been 22mmol along with illness. I'm also prone to hypos when I haven't eaten for a long time or am more active than usual.

I've had c-peptide which was normal, a pancreatic scan which i'm pressuming was fine since we never heard anything, I've not ever produced ketones, I have negative antibodies. So bit of a pickle here, and still don't know whats going on. I manage by relatively low-carb diet, I don't exercise but i'm pretty active, walk alot. I'm also coeliac just to add that in the mix!

Feel free to ask any questions :) Or anything you haven't understood.

2. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

Wow, what an unusual road to diagnoses. Here in the United States you would be type 2 or mody. Did they test you with a two hour glucose test? To rule out insulin resistance.

3. jade

jade Approved members

Maybe you have an inborn error of metabolism? Many fatty acid oxidation disorders lead to hypoglycemia and patients almost never have any ketones (because they cannot burn fat for energy)

http://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/MCAD-Deficiency.htm

sometimes it presents in adults who have been asymptomatic all their lives.