- advertisement -

Hello looking for advice please

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lindeylou, Mar 11, 2006.

1. Lindeylou

Lindeylou Approved members

Hi there
    My 1st time on a forum like this so please bare with me....my 6 yr old daughter was diagnosed 2 days ago with type 1 diabetes ...she had lost weight and was always thirsty and drinking excessively...we were referred by our doctor to the hospital where she was diagnosed..she has started on her insulin Novomix and we had the diabetic nurse round yesterday to go through the injecting with us and her levels have been high since...she said it will take a few weeks to get the right amount of insulin ..we have been warned about hypos etc and given books and leaflets but at the moment its still such a shock me for ...i feel like i have a huge bubble in my brain with 1000 things swimming around in it....is this normal...i feel im going mad...Charlotte luckily has been fantastic and doesnt mind the finger tests or the injections so that helps me....i am just looking for some dvice and to feel like im not alone in dealing with this

Thanks for reading

Lyn x

2. nantomsuethom

nantomsuethom Approved members

Hi Lyn,
    All that you are feeling is normal. Having your child diagnosed with diabetes is a total shock, especially if there is no history in the family. You will start to feel better as time goes on.
    My son was diagnosed 2 1/2 years ago. I can't remember how long it took me to get over that feeling but I did. I still think about him and diabetes all day while he is in school or at a friends but now that he is stable I know that he is ok.
    I think it is wonderful that she doesn't mind her bg tests and injections. She is a brave little girl!
    Good luck. It will get better.
    Nancy

3. Jana

Jana Approved members

Hi Lyn

It's completely normal to feel shocked and fuzzy-headed. I had a hard time even concentrating while they taught us the stuff about injections and testing. It's a life changing diagnosis, and a huge amount of information to take in. However, it DOES get better. With work, some time and determination, you'll get your daughter's BG levels and insulin levels evened out, and you'll become an expert at judging carb amounts in foods...and eventually...life will start to feel more like life again. If you haven't already, stop by the parents chat room here at children with Diabetes.

4. kittycatgirl

kittycatgirl Approved members

Hello

Hi Lyn,
    My daughter was diagnosed in January. There are going to be a lot of changes in both of your lives as well as a lot of emotions. Hopefully you will get a lot of help from her diabetes team and a lot of support. You won't take in all the information they are giving you so you may need to revisit it later. They drop the bs very slowly so her body has time to adjust. It will take about a week to get in range and even then she will be up and down for awhile. Be in very close contact with her school and plan on going in to talk to the nurse on her first day back. The school nurse will become your very best friend. Make sure everyone at her school is told. You have many rights when it comes to the school system. I wish you both a lot of luck. It has been two months for my daughter. Some days we think about it all day others not so much. I wish you didn't have reason to be here but welcome.
    Dee

5. pookas

pookas Approved members

Hi Lyn,
    My son, Hunter-5 yrs old, was dx'd Nov. 2005, 4 months ago. The first month or so is the big adjustment for her insulin. It took us about 5 weeks to figure out his correct dosage and little chages are made over time. Ex. We left the hospital and he was on 6 u. Lantus and 1 u. Novalog per 12 g. carbs. Now he's on 1 u. Lantus and 1 u. Novalog per 45 g. carbs. BIG change, but it was gradual. I still feel alot of anxiety when his numbers aren't what they should be or when he gets sick, but his numbers are good. My advice to you, learn everything you can about Diabetes. Did the hospital give you the Pink Panther book, Understanding Diabetes? It is a wealth of info. If they didn't, ask your endo. for a copy or you can get the complete book online here: http://www.uchsc.edu/misc/diabetes/ud10.html I still go back to it every couple of weeks to check on things. Definately depend on your endo. team alot these first few weeks to months. Do not feel like you're bothering them. It's what they are there for. You are not going mad, it is a very OVERWELMING thing to go through, but you can do it. Arm yourself w/ knowledge. Hang in there =)

Linda-[NEPA]-Mom to:
    Hunter, 5 yrs, dx'd 11/14/05 type I
    Colby, 6 yrs, migraines

6. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Hi Lyn. Your feelings are all justified. Sorry for how difficult it is right now. I recall feeling as if people were talking to me through a cloud when my son was first diagnosed and I had to absorb so much information.

If you want to "chat" with parents, come to the parents room at the chat room page on this website. www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/chat

Hang in there. Things will improve.

7. c.marie

c.marie New Member

Hi Lyn, you are totally normal. Let me tell you that my son is going on two years of dealing with this now and I still feel overwhelmed going to the endo appts. because there is so much they throw at us. It will get better with time. I'm sorry to hear of your daughters diagnosis.

8. teelduo

teelduo Approved members

I totally agree with everyone! You are NORMAL!!! My son was diagnosed 1-08-06. I am just now getting a handle on it and don't freak out at a low. My husband looks to me to tell him how to handle a situation now as he a little behind me in the learning. He works full time and so that makes me the full time caregiver of course. It will come, so don't worry too much.

9. AmberO

AmberO Approved members

Even though diabetes runs through my family and I am the only sibling without, I felt like the floor had dropped out from me when my daughter showed symptoms and a over 400 bg reading. We knew immediately what that meant, but it didn't make me feel any better. Growing up I was on the sidelines of my siblings care, but all of a sudden I had to be the one in charge. It was a scary overwhelming feeling. When we switched to the pump 2 years ago, again I felt like I was in a new world. It does get easier as you get more into being able to read your child. Reading as many books as I could, talking to the Dr's and absorbing internet info helped me felt like I had a better handle on what I could expect.

10. diabeticgirl101

diabeticgirl101 Approved members

From Lauren's Mom

Hello,
    It should seem like there is over 1000 things swarming in your mind! It was difficult for me when Lauren was first diagnosed. She didn't mind anything though. She likes her diabetes and isn't sure if she'd want to have her diabetes cured, if ever the time that it is possible. She said it makes her unique and special. She has had a good additude thru this whole thing. She has her days when she's down, but she likes it for the most part!

She cried a couple of times when in the hospital but has remained pretty strong thru it all. God is good! When I was in the hosptial with her she was my support! I would cry a lot and she'd tell me not to be a cry baby! :) She was really strong thru it all. She says it happened for a reason, God has his reason for everything! Out of the mouths of babes! :eek:

It should be hard for you at first, but you will eventually get used to it. I never thought that I would, but I have.

Good luck! My prayers are with you!

Lauren's Mom

11. Boo

Boo Approved members

Hi Lyn. I am truely sorry about your daughter's diagnosis. All of us here understand what you are going through now. The amount of information to absorb is overwhelming. Focus on the basics at first. Don't worry if you read some posts here that don't make a lot of sense to you yet. You will be amazed at how quickly you will make her diabetes care a part of your normal daily routine. It'll just be the thing that always lurks in the back of your head...that you are always aware of, but eventually it won't be in the forefront all the time, and it won't be the focus of your days.

Remember to take care of yourself during these early times. Good diabetes management requires diligence, and can take a toll on the main caregiver, especially in the beginning when things seem so all-consuming. Hopefully you have a spouse/partner involved that can give you a much needed break from time to time!

12. Ben'sMommy

Ben'sMommy Approved members

Chin up!!!

Lyn,
    Right now life must be pretty horrible for you. My son was dx'd at 7 mts old and I remember feeling like I wanted to crawl in a hole somewhere. It was a very bad time. But now 2 years on life is back to normal. Ben is pumping and doing very well.
    There is light at the end of the tunnel and you will get through this difficult time eventually. There is a certain 'mourning period' you need to go through when a loved one is dx'd with an illness and you should allow yourself this time.
    I'm sure most people will agree that things rarely get as bad as they were right after diagnosis so keep that in mind.
    Kids are so resilient and adaptable. They are a huge inspiration to us all and seem to be better able to cope then us parents!!!
    Best of luck Lyn.
    Glad you found this place!
    :cwds:

13. CHEKA

CHEKA New Member

what a shock

HI lynn
    it is in an awful moment in your life being told your child has something wrong with them. We spent 6 days in the hospital before we were sent home with needles and insulin pen we were not sure how to use
    it is a steep learning curve. I wish you strength and courage
    you will find a lot of support on this website

14. pool501

pool501 New Member

I understand

My daughter was dx'd in Dec 2005. I was 2 weeks before her 12th birthday. She is doing well. We are still learning. We have more good days then bad. The fist few months were very overwelming. We did get through the holiday's well. Use your doctors well. Do not be afriad to call them whne not sure. It is better safe then sorry.

Jenny
    mom of 3 , Karl 14, Ally 12 , and Dean 10

15. darcyann3

darcyann3 Approved members

Hello,

What everyone has said is so true. We have no family history so it was a huge shock for my husband and I to learn that Trevor had diabetes. He was only 16mts old so couldn't really tell us how he was feeling. It was right before Thanksgiving and I thought I was taking him to the doctors for a rare flu bug but after the doctor examined him and asked me a few questions she told me she needed to run a blood test as she suspected diabetes. I didn't really know what that meant at the time but knew it has something to do with sugar. It is crazy and you will have good and bad days. I am not sure if it is better your daughter is a little older or not but it was pretty tough having one so young with it. I hope your diabetes team is great like what I had as I could call the clinic anytime if I was unsure of what to do. Soon after coming home from the hospital Trevor and I did get the actual flu so it was nice having such a great team. Good luck though and be assured that it does get much easier.

Darcy dx celiac 06/05
    Trevor dx diabetes 11/00 dx celiac 06/05 07-06-99
    Trace dx celiac 03/05 12-03-03
    Cody healthy 06-04-92
    Emily healthy 09-11-95