- advertisement -

hello i'm new here

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sharon c, Jan 12, 2006.

1. sharon c

sharon c Approved members

hello just wanted to introduce myself.
    I am 35yrs old and a mum to two lovely girls aged 8yrs and 6yrs, my eldest was diagnosed with diabetes two years ago new years eve. She is still learning how to cope along with us. Her younger sibling is extremely jealous of all the 'special' attention her sister gets. We are a very active family and love nothing better than walking the dog and swimming at the weekends.

From what i have read so far on here i think that this will be an interesting and helpful forum for me.

Sharon c

2. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

Hi Sharon,

I'm pretty new here too -- my 13-year-old son was just diagnosed four months ago. He's doing really well with it -- I'm almost in awe of him -- but I know there are going to be times when he's really just damn sick of the whole thing.

Anyhow, I hope you enjoy being on this forum -- I have found this whole site so informative and helpful.

Holly

3. Mik's Mom

Mik's Mom Approved members

Hi Holly,

Our family is fairly new to all of this as well. My daughter was diagnosed in May 2005, and she is now 7 years old. Our son, who is 9, also feels a little jealous of the attention his sister receives, though he never mentioned it until a few weeks ago.

He was also afraid that his sister would die and that he too would get diabetes... and I am told that many siblings of a child who has diabetes, has these feelings.

Our endo has "sib's workshops" where siblings of children with chronic illnesses can meet with other siblings and talk and play. We have signed our son up for the next one, and i hope it helps. Maybe your endo has a sibs shop as well?

I also think this site is wonderful. I have learned so much here and wish I had found it 8 months ago. I did research the JDRF site the first night she was diagnosed, but for some reason, I didn't find CWD until recently. It is nice to have a place where others understand what you are going through.

Take care

4. i play paintball13

i play paintball13 New Member

Hi im new to i was diagonsed on the 17th of january:D

5. munchkingirl

munchkingirl Approved members

Wow, that's just days ago. How are you doing? Did you have to spend anytime in the hospital? What's your doc got ya doing?

Hope you're doing well! There are a lot of caring people here and We're all here to talk to when ya need it!

Beth

6. sharon c

miks mom said "Our endo has "sib's workshops" where siblings of children with chronic illnesses can meet with other siblings and talk and play. We have signed our son up for the next one, and i hope it helps. Maybe your endo has a sibs shop as well?"

I have never heard of sib's workshop but will defianately enquire about it, it would be fantastic for her younger sibling who is spitefully jealous.

7. sharon c

miks mom said "Our endo has "sib's workshops" where siblings of children with chronic illnesses can meet with other siblings and talk and play. We have signed our son up for the next one, and i hope it helps. Maybe your endo has a sibs shop as well?"

I have never heard of sib's workshop but will defianately enquire about it, it would be fantastic for her younger sibling who is spitefully jealous.

8. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

The Children With Diabetes conferences generally have siblings in at least one session by themselves. Kudos to your endo! The siblings need recognition.