- advertisement -

Hello from New Mexico

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by browneyesjt, Feb 26, 2009.

1. browneyesjt

browneyesjt Approved members

My name is Julia and I live in New Mexico. I have 6 children (ages 16, 14, 11, 8, 5 & 6 months) and two of them have diabetes, type 1. My 14 year old son, Javier, was diagnosed in November 2005 and my son Angel (8) was just diagnosed on January 19, 2009. I am glad to have found this group with members who really are going through the same things we are and share some of our frustrations, triumphs, sadness, etc....

Angel is officially "honeymooning" so we have cut down on his Novolog these last couple of days. Javier is not honeymooning (I think ) and still struggling with some of his BG's.
    My husband and I have really been struggling with our situation and I now freak out whenever one of my non-D kids tell me their stomach hurts, or I see them drink water. We are trying to decide if we should get our kids tested for antibodies for type 1? I would really appreciate any feedback on this....
    Also anyone else here from New Mexico?

Julia-Mom to Javier (14), dx 11/05, Angel (8)- dx 1/09 both on Lantus & Novolog, Andres (16, nonD), Joanna (11, nonD), Joel (5, nonD) and Angelica (6 months nonD)

2. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

3. Reese'sMom

Reese'sMom Approved members

Welcome,

You found the right place to come for support! :)

4. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Welcome, I hope this site helps you as much as it has helped me. Good luck...:cwds:

5. CButler

CButler Approved members

Welcome, and sorry you have two kids with type 1.:(
    I can understand why you would be concerned about
    getting the others tested.
    We did not test our other three, but they do get a finger-prick
    occasionally just for peace of mind.

6. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

Welcome...I also have 2 kids with type 1. We had our oldest tested for the antibodies. You should look into the TrialNet study. If you don't have a local hospital, I can give you the name and number of the person who is in charge of it here in TN at Vanderbilt. They send a kit to a lab local to you, or even your pediatrician. It's a simple blood draw. It's critical research, and think about it as a possible lead to a cure.
    It is very hard having 2 kids to remember all the details with, and I am so sorry for your family. It does get easier...God bless... PM me if you want the name and number...Sharon

7. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

Welcome. I have two D kids two with the latest being dx in Feb 09. This is a great place for info and support! glad you found us!

8. hsmommyofmany

hsmommyofmany Approved members

welcome, from a fellow mommy of 6!! i only have 1 child with D, diagnosed just 1 month ago, i can not imagine having to remember all of this stuff for 2 of them...i totally understand about the stomache ache and water thing...everytime someone asks for water or wets the bed or throws up, my first thought goes to diabetes now...it is really stressful constanly worrying about someone else getting it. i have called for the trialnet package that some of the others posted about, you can get the link on this site. this is a great site and the people here are very helpful and always available.

9. Jensmami

Jensmami Approved members

Welcome to CWD, you will find information and support here, we all learn so much from each other. I am not from New Mexico, but I love it there. We are at least once a year in Albuquerque.:)

10. AmberO

AmberO Approved members

I'm not sure if there are any other NM's here. I'm from Las Cruces but have lived over seas for a few years now. Welcome!