- advertisement -

Hello from Florida!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by rxdek, Aug 14, 2009.

1. rxdek

rxdek New Member

Hi there! I often come to the forums for some insight over the years, but decided to join for several reasons. First, about me.

I'm eighteen (almost 19) sophomore in college and have been Type 1 for 6 years (since 2002). I was involved in a family support group out of Alpharetta/Norcross/Johns Creek, Georgia but last summer my dad's job transferred and now I'm in St. Petersburg, FL. Though he's met a few people from JDRF and local groups, I have not, so I decided to join here. :)

I was diagnosed in October 2002 as a 7th grader at 12 years old in Atlanta, GA. My blood sugar at the time was 1,025 (not a typo) and I was a soccer player, horseback rider and extremely ill nearly 24/7. I did not want to eat, I slept constantly and had trouble paying attention in school. I was diagnosed the same weekend of the JDRF Walk for a Cure in Atlanta; went back to school about two weeks after I was diagnosed, as I spent longer in the hospital due to the whole sugar thing.

My first insulin pump was a Paradigm in April 2003 and I stayed on it until around 2006, when I went back on shots of Lantus/Hum. I decided to get the pump again last June 2008 before heading to college in August. So now I have the Paradigm 722.

Recently after a year of school in Georgia, as my parents moved to Florida, I came back home to finish my sophomore year. I hope to head to UF next fall. I'm currently a student in the Animal Sciences field and work as a veterinary technician. My goal is to become a Doctor of Veterinary medicine specializing in equine lameness. My biggest hobby is riding horses; I've been doing it since I was six. For three years I worked out of Atlanta as a event rider and now here I am currently with a hunt seat/equitation trainer. I also love the Lord, reading, going to the beach and playing with my lab/golden.

Currently, we're looking for an Endo. here in St. Pete or the Tampa area. Any suggestions of offices are welcome. :) I was formerly with Dr. Greenlee in Atlanta.

2. Jordan

Jordan Approved members

Hi, and welcome to CWD! :)
    Another horse lover ! There are quite a few on here, including myself :D

3. KTurner52

KTurner52 Approved members

Hi and welcome to Florida! I don't know of any endo's in the Tampa area...we are in Orlando. Nice to have another fellow equestrian/T1 in the group. I ride also, although not as much as I would like to (hunter, dressage background) and am now actively involved in Pony Club (go Wekiva Basin!!) with my two girls. My ten year old is the T1 and is getting ready to rate her D2. Her pony Danger Ranger is my avatar. If you have no luck with the endo PM me, I will ask our CDE who knows everyone around the area and is T1 herself!!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  4. gboysmom

gboysmom Approved members

Hey, happy to see you've found the CWD site...it's amazing around here. You sound very busy! :)