- advertisement -

Hello Everyone..

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by mommytoalyssa, Feb 1, 2011.

1. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

I second the Delica - much gentler on little fingers!

My daughter was 2 when she was diagnosed and for her, the secret was bandaids. She didn't mind injections but did not like blood checks. So...we went to the store and she picked out a few boxes of characters she liked and we ended up with all sorts of bandaids. We did a lot of forearm testing in the beginning and she'd have rows of bandaids that we'd peel off every other day and she'd start over. People, seeing her arms, started giving her fun bandaids and she did this for months and months. At daycare, all the kids would help her pick one and she loved that whole 'center of attention' thing. Not sure if it would appeal to a 4 year old but it made life a whole lot easier for us!

Also, they gave her a doll in the hospital and she took a click pen and tested the doll. Poor thing is still in my closet - blue ink all over her face and arms and hands. Having a doll that she could test also helped. If she's into dolls, perhaps choose a doll that also has diabetes and let her check it.

2. mommytoalyssa

mommytoalyssa Approved members

Thank you for your advice, because I'm definitely lost on how to get her use to it and those are some great ideas! :)

3. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

Welcome, Im sorry you are dealing with this...

WAY TO GO! mom for taking her in early!

Loads of great info on this website. My husband and I have learned more on here than our drs/ nurses taught us.

4. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

Wondering if you were able to check her blood sugar today? I have been thinking of you guys.

5. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Your mother was BORN with diabetes?
    If that's the case, she doesn't have the autoimmune type that most of us here have, and you may be looking at MODY.

6. mommytoalyssa

let me make a correction, they found it in my mother by the age of 1, they ASSUME she was born with it, that her pancreas never worked.

and i have been testing her blood sugars all week, they have been GREAT, not one high one, but that leaves me confused. Just waiting to here what the doctors say from here out.. kind of frustrating.

7. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

Did you get in to see the dr on the 9th? What do they say?

8. mommyof5

mommyof5 Approved members

Hi, I are you are from Struthers, I'm from Champion! Are you going to akron children's at Boardman it main campus? Or Cleveland? We have used Boardman the last few times. I have a 15 year old with type 1 and we are waiting on results for my son who is 3. We are kind of going through the same with his numbers you are. Although, today we had a postprandial of 248. What was her a1c? Marks was 6.2. I hope both of us continue to get good numbers for as long as possible!

9. mommytoalyssa

The diabetic doctor is running a bunch of tests on her....

And, yes, I wanted to switch to akron childrens in Boardman, right now we are going to Dr. Lottore in Salem because it's who my pediatrician sent us to but Akron's called me and said once we figure everything out they will be willing to see her there.

I am not sure what a1c means? But it is nice to see someone close by! :)